Short Sale counter offer from the bank

Asked by Mary, Durham, NC Fri Sep 20, 2013

I recently received a counter offer from the bank asking for $10,000 more than the original offer of $200,000. I countered by accepting the price, but asking for some closing costs. It's been a little over a week since submitting the counter offer. Probably a typical question, but how long should I wait to hear from the bank? Would asking for some closing costs kill the offer? I am working with a realtor. Thanks.

Answers

3
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Fri Sep 20, 2013
No telling how long you may wait, "Short" isn't the operative word in Short Sales but it could easily take a couple of weeks. Your request shouldn't kill the deal but I wouldn't be surprised if the lender didn't counter by refusing to contribute to your closing costs.
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Fri Sep 20, 2013
Most banks will not pay closing costs, 90% chance it kills the offer. The banks offer is not something you can usually counter offer, pretty much they have to start the process over and it can take 6-12 weeks to hear. The problem starts when listing agents list homes below market value and the bank counters at market value and buyers are left to wonder what just happened.
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Fri Sep 20, 2013