Sheriff sale

Asked by Datahead, 19020 Wed Aug 5, 2009

I have found a property that I am interested in that is listed for sheriff sale. It has already been deferred once, and I am prepared for it to be deferred again. Two questions: One, if I were to purchase it, what liens and other liabilities would I be responsible for? Two, if I obtain the property and the woman doesn't want to leave, how long typically is the eviction process?

Answers

3
Terri Gogolen, Agent, Ringwood, NJ
Wed Feb 17, 2010
I have bought several sheriff sale homes in Pa. Each state has different laws, so be careful. I start with a list of 100 homes and one by one I research them . I narrow it down to 4 and them I get a simple search to weed out any with problems. Then if there is one that looks like it really is going to happen , I pay for a full title search . Two of the homes I bought had people living in them on the day of the sale. They both moved quietly with no problem.
William Leigh…, , New Jersey
Wed Aug 5, 2009
Datahead: I'm not sure that tax liens are cleared. Ask the county about that one. It can take a while to evict the former owner, if they doge around. It is not going to be a short time. As with everything connected to court proceedings, you can know a lot and still be surprised. Not knowing a lot, the surprises may come even faster. It's not the game for someone who does not have good, inexpensive legal counsel, honest.

Even more importantly, you should know you will be bidding against the lien holder(s,) up to the amount of the loan. You won’t get any property for less than that, unless the lender feels there is no sense in bidding higher because the value of the property just isn’t there. They have better legal counsel and more Realtor experience at their command than you will really be able to afford. That means that most Sheriff’s sales are not going to work for you.

Bill Holt \\Licensed in PA.
Terrence Cha…, Home Owner, Allentown, PA
Wed Aug 5, 2009
The sheriff's office tries to ensure that all properties are transfered free and clear. You will need to do your homework at the public records section of the County Courthouse. It's free to use the computers there to conduct your research.

I do believe that it is the Sheriff's responsibility to evict anyone from the property once it is sold. You will need to contact the sheriff's office. Use the website below to check out the process.

Hope that helps,

Terrence Charest, e-Pro®
REALTOR®
Century 21 Associates
905 Easton Road
Willow Grove, PA 19090
Cell (Preferred): 877.614.1494
Office: 215.659.5250
Fax: 215.659.5550

http://www.HomesForFreedom.com
tcharest@HomesForFreedom.com
“Giving to Those Who Gave”