Separating from spouse, can I get an FHA mortgage?

Asked by Jennifer C, Village of Palmetto Bay, FL Wed Mar 25, 2009

Long question, hope you can help. My husband and I are separating but not currently divorcing for healthinsurance reasons. Our attorneys are drafting up a separation agreement. We currently own a home, but I am not on the mortgage (not much equity). The agreement proposed is that I receive a monthly alimony/child support, and spouse gets house and debt obligations. I would like to purchase a home instead of renting because of the great prices now, but I can't tell from researching it if this is possible. I would need FHA, and I don't currently work (though I will start in the fall, I'm a nursing student). Husband makes plent of money to make the alimony payments to me, but he will obviously not be on the mortgage or deed. Is this possible? If so, what do I need to do? Thanks!

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


RN, , Miami, FL
Sat Apr 4, 2009
Hi Jennifer,
I am not an attorney, so this is pure opinion: Technically, until you are legally divorced, you and your husband's purchases are inseparable--but consult a) your divorce attorney, and b) a mortgage counselor (not a broker) on this information.
I have an attorney I work with closely on complex matters, and perhaps he can help. Call me if you like,

0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more