Jb, Home Buyer in 15241

Seller did not disclose well collapsed long ago, neighbors state the sellers knew & had a 17' line put in as temp fix-now drinking lake

Asked by Jb, 15241 Mon Aug 23, 2010

water, liable? Cash purchase, no inspection, if sellers ( and their realtor) were aware can they be forced to pay for new well? We have been told by nighbor, he offered a lower bid because he had knowledge of the well, our bid was higher-they accepted our bid and did not disclose well collapse to us.

Answers

8
Terrence Cha…, Home Owner, Allentown, PA
Mon Aug 23, 2010
Real estate attorney. Definitely. However, the inspection may not see that the water is coming from the lake.
Melinda J. R…, Agent, Hudsonville, MI
Mon Aug 23, 2010
Jb, I also highly suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney on this one. I am not sure what the guidelines are in your State. This is a good reason for all buyers to spend a few hundred dollars on a private inspection. I am not sure in your State what necessarily needs to be disclosed to a buyer. A private inspection of the well might have cost you a chunk of change. You might possibly be out if you waived your right to a private inspection. However, again, you are in a different State and this is really a legal issue at this point.

I hope this information helps! Best Wishes!
Web Reference:  http://www.GoMelinda.com
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon Aug 23, 2010
You may wish to consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate and see exactly what legal options you may have, he/she will be your best source of advice--although curious to know why you chose not to inspect the property.....
Blair W. Coh…, Agent, Monroeville, PA
Mon Aug 23, 2010
As most Buyer's have heard when purchasing consider location, location, location. My advise to Seller's is alway's disclose, disclose, disclose. If you feel you were deceived, and you may well have been you should contact a good real estate/litigation attorney. But remember there are two sides to every story and how it plays out in litigation may differ from how you expect. Even if you prevail it could be quite a lengthy and costly ordeal. First consider trying friendly contacts with the Seller through the agents and hopefully all will be worked out to your satisfaction but if the other party is not reasonable you may need to contact an attorney.
Emily Murphy, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Mon Aug 23, 2010
What Karen pointed out regarding mediation could be an important first step to finding a resolution. The sales contracts most commonly used in the state of PA did change within the last 6 months so I would certainly reference your contract in particular. If your contract gives you the option of mediation (or require mediation first) it does not prevent you from seeking legal action later. I would certainly reccommend you discuss the situation with a real estate attorney either way.
Karen Frank, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Mon Aug 23, 2010
Not knowing the specifics of the transaction it's hard to be certain, but based on what you are saying here, you may have recourse. If this property is in 15241, Upper St. Clair, Western PA, your course of action may be dependent on the specifics of the sales agreement that you signed at the time of purchase. The most recent PA sales contract mandates that Buyers and Sellers agree to use a dispute resolution system (mediation) prior to seeking recourse through an attorney. The best advice would be for you to contact the Realtor that you used to complete this transaction and review the agreement with him or her. Your agent shold be able to give you guidance as to the best way to proceed.
Doug Rees, Agent, Moon Township, PA
Mon Aug 23, 2010
I would strongly advise for you to consult with a REAL ESTATE Attorney. (don't just consult with any attorney)
I'm not sure what your options are being you did not have the inspections. Always wise to have inspections done so that you don't end up with a big surprise down the road.
Good Luck
Doug Rees
Sarah Padgett, Agent, Mansfield, TX
Mon Aug 23, 2010
Wow...that sounds like a sticky situation! Sounds like you may have grounds to go after the seller but its always wise to weigh your options and what that route would cost you compared to the replacement value. I am not an attorney but talking to one may be a good start! Sorry to hear your troubles and best wishes!