San Gabriel Valley - Near 210 - House or Land?

Asked by Jen, Topanga, CA Thu Jan 31, 2013

Having just gotten married last month, my husband and I are anxious to find a new place to live before our lease runs out next month at our current apartment in downtown LA. We have considered purchasing a mobile home or a condominium and decided that it does not work for our lifestyle due to the space rent/HOA dues. Our main focus is on the possibility of home ownership with either a brick-and-mortar house or a land purchase with modular housing built on it. We are (hopefully) done with apartment living. We have been speaking to lenders and would be working with a budget absolutely no higher than $280K total. Our main wish is for the largest lot possible with the closest proximity to future Metro trains and the 210 freeway as well. We are an environmentally conscious couple, interested in green design and not afraid to get our hands dirty. Please advise us as to what is most realistic toward making the most of our money with getting the largest lot and most efficient house possible.

Answers

2
carlos parra…, Other Pro, Monrovia, CA
Thu Jan 31, 2013
I strongly encourage you to get into a house rather than build ground up. Land values are higher than you think and building a home on it will cost more than you think too. Even if you can and are allowed to build a modular home, City restrictions and code requirements will make it more costly.
Shannon Chang, Agent, Arcadia, CA
Thu Jan 31, 2013
Much depends on how quickly you want to get into your home. For your budget, you may have to go further east than Monrovia, Azusa, Duarte, Covina, La Puente, areas like that. Buying land will take at least 1 to 2 years before you can get a house on it. Give me a call.
Great to know - Thank You for your response! We are considering the cities you mentioned.
Flag Thu Jan 31, 2013