SCE just disconnected my heater - it was recalled 10 years ago. The home inspector missed it when I bought the house. Is that his responsibility?

Asked by Zigmund, Temecula, CA Tue Jan 17, 2012

The Premier Furnace Company HCC050ND3 rx heater was installed by the builder in hundreds of homes iin this neighborhood and all were recalled by the gov due to fires. The heater is easily accessible and visibloe and the SCE repairman saw it in about 10 seconds. Is this not the responsibility of a home inspector? It will cost about $5000 to replace. Thanks

Answers

7
Jennifer Con…, Agent, Encinitas, CA
Tue Jan 17, 2012
The home inspector's primary responsibility is to check for the functionability of the appliances, A/C, heater, plumbing, etc. He is not a code enforcer and certainly is not required to know what items have been recalled. It would have been nice if he knew about it. But thousands of items are recalled every year and it would be very difficult to track every single one of them. It sounds like your home inspection was completed and then the heater was removed. I would contact the builder on this one, if they are still in business. Let them know that it was never replaced.
Greg Terry, , Riverside, CA
Mon Mar 26, 2012
In my humble opinion there is no excuse for missing this type of furnace. I am an inspector in So Cal, I have attended hundreds of continuing education seminars and this was covered in home inspector 101. These furnaces are unique in design and can not be mistaken for anything else, my suspicion is you hired the cheapest inspector you could find and that is why he missed it, he simply wasn't trained! I agree with Jennifer Conklin, that thousands of items are added to the CSPC daily, but this is one of those that have been recalled for years and is in your agent disclosures, any competent inspector would see this and write it up accordingly. I agree with Joe Nernburg as well you should only be using CREIA & ASHI certified inspectors! These inspectors are members of organizations that require rigorous testing (48% pass rate) to be granted the designation of "Certified Inspector"
Erica Ramus,…, Agent, Pottsville, PA
Fri Jan 20, 2012
Check your contract with your home inspector and read the report.
Willy Olsen, , Claremont, CA
Fri Jan 20, 2012
How long ago was this home inspection done? Have a look at your inspection report to see if the inspector made any notes about the heater. If you recently purchased this home, did you get a Home Warranty Plan that covers heaters and AC units. Your best bet is to go talk with a real estate attorney to see if you have any legal recourse through small claims court. But the builder is not liable for items that they may have installed or subcontracted out that the government may deem dangerous several years later.
Joe Nernberg, , Calabasas, CA
Fri Jan 20, 2012
More than 325,000 Consolidated (Premier brand) furnaces are regarded as potential fire hazards. There is no recall. The steep cost probably relates to permit fees and California Title 24 code compliance. The new/replacement furnace triggers duct testing, etc.

What did your inspector say after you presented him with that discovery? 95% of the inspectors I know would have caught this defect. Since California does not license home inspectors, your selection of a home inspector should have been narrowed down to certified members of http://www.creia.org or http://www.ashi.org. That's what Errors & Ommission insurance is for.
Stephen McKee, Agent, Riverside, CA
Thu Jan 19, 2012
That better be a huge furnace for $5000. I just had one replaced for $1500. Don't get the retrofit model. Just get a whole new furnace.
Ann Ryan, Agent, Doral, FL
Wed Jan 18, 2012
Thousands of products are recalled every day, and there's likely plenty of blame to spread around. However, the more important thing is what to do next. Check out the link below and start researching your rights. There was a settlement made with the manufacturer. The http://www.furnaceinspect.com link has lots of good info.