Resale value Saugus versus Simi Valley, CA

Asked by Vivien, Chatsworth, CA Tue Jul 7, 2009

We are moving for a better school and a bigger house, we found one in Saugus, CA and one in Simi Valley, CA in our price range (low $400ks). Which one do you think that has better resale value, one in Simi Valley or one in Saugus?

Answers

2
Ted Mackel, Agent, Simi Valley, CA
Tue Jul 14, 2009
Vivien,

Saugus is off the 14 north of the 14 & 5 Junctions. Los Angeles County has no plans to stop massive expansion of home development in the Magic Mountain area and even out north of Saugus off the 14. THIS MEANS FUTURE OUT OF CONTROLTRAFFIC that the two highways cannot handle. these two highways cannot handle the flow they have currently and there was a recent expansion that is just finishing up. The traffic sucks all day long on the 5 already, can you imagine in 10-15 years when there are 10s of thousands of new homes added to the area?

Sure I live in Simi and I have a bias, but it is very simple, Simi is on the way to no where. Simi and every city in Ventura county is limited to expansion inside their own city limits. Each city in Ventura County has serious slow growth measures and low density attitudes toward future development. The open space in the county is protected by a law called SOAR Save Our Agricultural Resources. So if I was a betting man on which area is going to be over developed 1st, hands down Santa Clarita-Valencia-Saugus-Newhall area is the winner.

You have to decide if spending more time in traffic and saving a little on a house in Sagus over Simi is something you can live with.

Santa Clarita and the surrounding area is gorgeous. When I get past the traffic and get out there I like the place, but you will never see the city of Simi approve the densities you see in areas like Town Center & McBean or even down By Newhall Ranch Road. The point is all those people travel down the 5 and collide with the Palmdale commuters coming off the 14, who mix with those in Saugus....nightmare nightmare nightmare is all I can think of.
Web Reference:  http://www.HomeBuysBlog.com
Joe Nernberg, , Calabasas, CA
Tue Jul 7, 2009
Simi Valley because it is a shorter commute to metropolitan Los Angeles. I would pick Saugus (the Santa Clarita Valley) because it is a better designed community and more affordable.