Rental potential in / around Houston area?

Asked by pam fisher, Houston, TX Thu Oct 3, 2013

I am looking to purchase a home (less than 200K) in or around houston area. Me and my family will live here but we also travel a lot for extended periods of time (6-12 months) and I would like to rent the home while we are away. What is a good part of town where it'll be easy to find renters and a newly built home within my price range?

Answers

6
Al Geffon, Agent, Houston, TX
Fri Oct 4, 2013
Pam ...

I'm a long-time (as in 40 years) investor and landlord, and wouldn't touch a short-term rental, unless it's a corporate arrangement (and then you'd be looking at well over $200,000 for a home). Between the continual moving in and out, damage to furnishings (you'd have to rent it furnished, which also cuts down on the number of potential tenants), having to engage a property management firm to look after things while your away, likely keeping the utilities in your name, and a bunch of other matters, the place is gong to take a beating (physically and financially) ... and given that you're looking for a new home at the lower end of the price range here, it all points to a recipe for disaster. Take it from one who knows firsthand. Give this some really serious thought. I wish you well.
Sherry Lucas, Agent, Houston, TX
Thu Oct 3, 2013
Hi Pam,

Rentals are hot all over the Houston area. I have an investor buying homes in Friendswood, League City area in your price range and is very happy with the results. Also the Pearland, Manvel areas are very good for the short commute to Downtown and the Med Center.

I would be delighted to send you comps of both areas to compare days on the market to see how fast they move. Just send me your list of home requirements and I will get you the Active homes on the market at this time For Sale.

I look forward to helping you find that perfect home.

Sherry Lucas
UTR - Texas, Realtors
281-705-3078
Diana T Lawl…, Agent, Corona, CA
Thu Oct 3, 2013
Hi there,

In order to better serve you, I need to know more information about your needs. Do you have children or pets? I live and work in the southern part of town: Clear Lake, Friendswood, League City, Kemah. They are located in a highly acclaimed school districts. We are near shopping, dining, entertainment and easy access to major freeways; Galveston, Kemah Boardwalk, NASA, and outlet mall, just to name a few. We have a very good new selection of new construction, resale homes and rentals. Please contact me so we can begin the search for your new home. I can be reached at 281-814-8332.

Diana Lawless GRI, SRES
Broker Associate
UTR-Texas, Realtors
17000 El Camino Real, Ste. 107
Houston, Tx 77058
281-814-8332
dlawlessrealty@gmail.com
http://www.har.com/DianaLawless
Persis Behra…, Agent, Cinco Ranch, TX
Thu Oct 3, 2013
Hello Mrs. Fisher,

Regarding rentals, Katy seems to attract a lot of folks because of the amenities and good schools. Sugar Land is pretty similar in that aspect. Just for your information most folks rent out for at least one year, however, in some instances short term could work as well; just depends on who is looking and what their purpose is.

As far as the purchase goes you will be able to construct a new home in the Katy area for around 200K but not in Sugar Land. There are no new homes available in the Katy area that is south of I-10.

What is important for you to have in your home along with the amenities in the area you would look for? As you know, Houston is rather huge and has some really good locations around it, so if you can help narrow the choice down with certain requirements you must have, it will be easier to make suggestions.

Please call or email if you have questions. Will be happy to assist.

Persis
REALM Real Estate Professionals
713-294-7747
persis.realtor@gmail.com
Muna Farah, , Houston, TX
Thu Oct 3, 2013
Hi Pam,

I will be happy to help to you.

Feel Free to call me

Thank you
Muna Farah
Coldwell Banker United, REALTORS
5111 Bellaire Blvd, Bellaire, Texas 77401
832-518-9288 Cell
713-349-9700 Office
713-349-9912 Fax
Mfarah@cbunited.com
Mark McNitt, Agent, Houston, TX
Thu Oct 3, 2013
Pam,

The northwest and west area of the city would work great. Cypress, Cy-Fair and Katy areas are locations many of those working in the Energy Corridor live. Good schools, new construction and easy access in and out of the areas.

Visit my web site as I have information on some of these areas. Let us know if we can assist you.

http://www.markknowshouston.com/communities.php

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty, Inc.