Relocating from Florida to Charlotte. Where is the best area to buy if you will work in downtown. Thanks

Asked by Raquel Arbogast, Boynton Beach, FL Sun Apr 8, 2012

I would like no more than 200, 000 home. Dog friendly. Church close by.. Small town flavor.

Answers

18
Jen McNeill…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Fri Oct 26, 2012
Hi Raquel!

Charlotte is a great place to live and luckily provides various road accessibilty to downtown. Please call me at 704-290-7374 so I may help you pinpoint what it is that would wrap your needs/desires into a comfortable home. http://www.cbunited.com/jenmcneill

If you like to walk your dog, here's a fantastic link that provides walkability scores, which I, personally, find useful: http://www.walkscore.com

Jen McNeill, Broker/Realtor
Real Estate Professional
704-290-7374
Coldwell Banker United, Realtors
Sergio Rocha, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Oct 23, 2012
Hi Raquel,
Be my guest to the The Neighborhood Experience @ Brightwalk this coming Thursday October 25th at noon. This brand new community offers new homes for under $200,000. It is within walking distance from downtown Charlotte. Meet me there for a tour of the community and a free lunch :) Email me at ROCHAREALESTATE@GMAIL.COM or call me at 704-4087132 to make arrangements.
Sondra Blaser, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Mon Apr 16, 2012
I would try and rent first to learn Charlotte. At least a year. I will give you a tour like I do all of my relocations, it helps understand where you are. I wish someone had done it for me 25 yrs. ago when I moved here.

Sondra Blaser
704.281.1865
Wilkinson and Ass. Real estate/ERA powered
Broker NC/SC
Sergio Rocha, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Sun Apr 15, 2012
In Charlotte, the best neighborhoods near downtown are 4th Ward, Dilworth, Elizabeth, and North Davidson. The next neighborhoods out from a distance perspective includes Sedgefield, Cotswold, South End, and South Park.
Catherine Mi…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Sat Apr 14, 2012
While I know it is a great time to buy, I recommend renting for a while first. You will be able to determine for yourself what area you would like to live in longer term as Charlotte becomes your home. Best of luck with your transition! Let me know if I can help!
Gary McCoy, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Sat Apr 14, 2012
Raquel,
I currently represent two other relocation clients both with very different wants and needs and have been working with them both to find their perfect fit for Charlotte. The first is coming from Fort Lauderdale and the second is coming from Philidelphia, both represent unique challenges and I have been able to meet all their must have plus a few bonus items in their homes in Charlotte. If you would like information on Charlotte, surrounding neighborhoods, or would like me to email you some listings please feel free to let me know. Lastly if you are coming to town and would like to tour the city let me know, myself or a member of my welcome team would be happy to take you around and show you what Charlotte has to offer!

Gary McCoy 704.640.3001 call or text
Keller WIlliams SouthPark
http://www.AmazingCarolinaHomes.com
Rob McCrorey, Agent, Cornelius, NC
Thu Apr 12, 2012
Really depends on your budget and how far/long of a commute. I would look Myers Park, Dilworth for in town single family first – Lake Norman, Ballantyne for burbs. Uptown Charlotte offers relaxed cosmopolitan lifestyle.
John Siddons…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Mon Apr 9, 2012
Hi Raquel!

"The best area" is kind of a vague question - are you familiar with Charlotte at all? If not, please contact me directly with a bit more information about your move, what your expectations are, what type of home/neighborhood you want, how long of a commute you want, etc. and I can help you as best as possible.

I work with buyers at no extra cost in a transaction and would love to help with your relocation!

John Siddons
John.Siddons@prucarolinas.com
http://www.searchcharlotte.com
http://www.johnsiddons.com
704-458-1843
Robin Faison, Agent, Huntersville, NC
Sun Apr 8, 2012
Hello Raquel,

The good news is that there are many places that could meet your needs. Our real estate prices have come down in the last four years making many well constructed houses with in your reach. I never thought that I would see an interest rate for a FHA 30 year fixed loan at 3.75%, so the loan terms are in your favor too.

I would agree that Belmont, Fort Mill, Davidson, Cornelius, Matthews, Mint Hill, Pineville, Huntersville are good places to call home, but so is Charlotte. When building industry was booming, we saw national, regional, and local builders creating similar subdivisions all over Charlotte metro. Land prices, house plans/materials, and school assignments help determine the price. Take a national company, like Pulte, you will see their houses in Charlotte, the surrounding towns, and into the neighboring counties.

As for dog friendly, there are dog parks, greenway trails to walk dogs, and plenty of sidewalks in Mecklenburg county. Go to the Charlotte Mecklenburg government website to find out about the parks. I think that it is http://www.parkandrec.com. The best way to get a feel for a place is to walk the neighborhood on a weekend, visit playgrounds, libraries, sit in coffee shops and ice cream parlors. Listen and watch how the people act. By the way, if you do visit Fort Mill, there is a great ice cream shop in Baxter Village. Ben and Jerry's is a great stop in Davidson, NC. There are free magazines and local papers published in each section that has been suggested to you.

Now for churches, it depends on what sort of church you prefer. There are churches with contemporary worship, and ones with main line denomination styles of worship. In South Mecklenburg, you will find some very large churches that have programs every day of the week, day care, schools, & community outreach. In North Mecklenburg, you find a large number of contemporary churches. There are churches that meet in public schools, commercial buildings, YMCA's here, as well as the ones that own their buildings. Many of the churches here have their own websites with their newsletters, events, and service schedules on-line. If you tell me what kind of church and worship that you prefer, I can make suggestions.

Wishing you success and happiness here,
Robin Faison, broker
Steve and Ma…, Agent, Denver, NC
Sun Apr 8, 2012
Well, personally I prefer Fort MIll,SC. It is just across the border from Charlotte, NC and an easy commute to Charlotte. We have excellent schools and lower taxes! Your price point, dog, church, and small town flavor requirements certainly can be met here! Feel free to email me directly for more specific information at 704-608-1406. Are you planning a visit here any time soon?
BTW..I noticed you are from Boynton Beach. A client of ours just moved from Fort Mill to Boynton Beach. Haha small world!
Steve & Marilyn Hudson
Lexie Longst…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Sun Apr 8, 2012
If you are looking for a short commute and small town feel I highly recommend one of the in town neighborhoods. You will think you moved to Mayberry! Plaza Midwood has a great little business district, some great restaurants and bars and a bakery with the best crusty bread in Charlotte. Noda, or The Arts district, is also so "home towny" you will have trouble walking a few blocks without getting into a conversation with someone. If you like newer construction they have some fantastic deals on condos in this neighborhood. Other walkable, friendly hot spots are: Myers Park, Dilworth and Southend.
You should check out our neighborhood blog: http://www.hiphoods.com. We have videos, pictures and descriptions of all the in town fun!
Web Reference:  http://www.hiphoods.com
Daniel Fisher, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Sun Apr 8, 2012
Good evening, Raquel:
While Charlotte covers a very large area, you can get a small town flavor in many Charlotte suburbs - complete with walking trails, farmers markets and other small town features. Pineville, Matthews, Belmont, Concord, Cornelius, Harrisburg, Mt Holly, Huntersville in NC and Ft Mill in SC are all within a half hour of uptown Charlotte. There are always trade-offs for buyers in all price points. You can get newer, big homes with a garage and large lot in a swimming pool subdivision if you go farther out. Or if you go closer in, you can get an older smaller home, maybe without the garage, on a smaller lot, or you could get a small upscale town home/condo. Many people love dogs in Charlotte and there are a lot of walkers and parks, even in some uptown condos. It really depends on how far a commute you are willing to tolerate, whether you want a home or a town home and what features of a home or neighborhood are most important to you. If you have a full time agent with a Masters degree in Planning with Finance and over two decades of experience, working for you, you will likely do better in negotiations. I'd be pleased to provide that service. You should read the Trulia Blog: "Which areas surrounding Charlotte would be a nice place to relocate?" There are some good suggestions about schools and locations there. ... if you appreciate this answer, please give it a "thumbs up", or if this was the most helpful answer, please say thanks with a "best answer" click .
Jan Teel, Agent, Matthews, NC
Sun Apr 8, 2012
My strong recommendation is that you call and have a candid conversation with a Realtor on the areas mentioned. You need to be given a list of pros and cons of each area. A single person who is more concerned with proximity to the city life with its amenities won't have the same concerns as a family whose focus will be on schools and child friendly amenities.

I relocated to the area in 1984 and raised my family here. I have watched the trends for almost 30 years and feel that I can help you form a strategy for the best investment and a seamless transition.

If you have not yet identified a buyer's agent to help you navigate through this process I would welcome the opportunity to serve you. Either way, I wish you all the best in your grand adventure.

Blessings upon you...
Jan Teel
TEEL Realty
704-641-0267
Alyce Walker, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Sun Apr 8, 2012
Hi Rachel...try Belmont, only 15 minutes from the uptown area and a delightful, small, historical town with Belmont Abbey, private schools as a centerpoint. Some new construction there which might be just what you need, especially pricewise. Here's wishing you much success in your move. I have another client, moving from Fla, working uptown. His family is seriously considering Belmont... Regards, Alyce Walker
Susan Zongker, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Sun Apr 8, 2012
Hi Raquel, As you can see everyone has a favorite area to suggest. Have you visited Charlotte before? If not, you need to come and just take a tour for a couple of days. What kind of commute are you looking for? If you drive from some of the smaller outlying towns, you may be driving 45+ minutes. You may even enjoy something closer in like Plaza Midwood or NoDa (North Davidson Arts District). Truly a lot of good choices. Happy to help if you need me.

Susan Zongker
Mike Brooks, Agent, Belmont, NC
Sun Apr 8, 2012
Raquel there are lots of opportunities to own a home that is convenient to downtown. Each area of town has its own pros and cons. There are great churches as well as shopping in each as well. Some areas of town have higher traffic problems than others. These are Things that have to be considered when purchasing in Charlotte. I am a native of the area and will be happy to show you each area. Please feel free to call me at 704-661-0016 and I will go into more detail. My website is http://WWW.charlottemeckhomes.com.

Mike
Alison Smith, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Sun Apr 8, 2012
Hi Raquel! The beauty of Charlotte is that you can live either north or south of uptown and have about the same commute. I would also recommend taking a look just North of uptown where the lake communities offer that small town feel you are speaking of. I would love to set up a time to tell you all about the area and help you narrow down your search. Will you be visiting soon? Feel free to call me at 704-997-6747 or email alisonsmith@kw.com so we can set up a good time. We also have a great website that will help you learn more about the area...visit http://www.AtHomeLakeNorman.com.

Warm Regards,

Alison Smith
Jackie Morgan Real Estate Group
Keller Williams Realty Lake Norman
704.996.6747
AlisonSmith@kw.com
http://www.YourCharlotteHomeAgent.com
Debbie and S…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Sun Apr 8, 2012
Hi Raquel, there are so many great areas to buy in that price range. I would personally recommend South Charlotte. I believe you would be very happy there, and appreciation is very good in South Charlotte. Somewhere between Matthews and Pineville would be best. We have actually lived in South Charlotte since moving to Charlotte in 1989.

I would love to chat with you further. Feel free to contact me at 704-443-8627 or 704-443-7020. Also, please visit our website at http://www.PropertiesofCharlotte.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Debbie Arriero
Arriero Realty, Inc.
http://www.PropertiesofCharlotte.com