Relocating from California to West Hartford... Need neighborhood expertise and recomendation on mulit family...

Asked by Nick, West Hartford, CT Tue Jan 25, 2011

Im planning to relocate from California to West Hartford (area) for work and family. I need a lot of advice regarding the area and which cities west hartford or surrounding areas are the best. Im looking to buy a single family home but also interested in multi family/duplex. I would like to know the best neighborhoods, best area for a return on investment, how the market in CT is doing... California is a mess :(. Also... what are rental values like for a multi family home... are they easy to rent etc. Ohh... and I was told... CT is on a mill rate. what isthe mill rate right now?
Im hoping to team up with a realtor who has experience and knowledge of the area. Im sorry for all the qustions but please if you can take a few min to answer as much as possible I would appreciate it. Im planning to move around summer time. I own a condo in CA and plan to keep it... therefore Im only able to buy between 150-300K
Thanks for your help and support

Answers

5
Brent Bell’s answer
Brent Bell, Agent, West Hartford, CT
Sat Mar 31, 2012
I have helped many families make the transition from CA to CT! I also know many active agents in the state of California. As a result, I can more easily anticipate the concerns of people moving in and explain the differences! Feel free to contact me about references from families who I have moved into CT!

The mill rate is an interesting New England piece to the taxation process. It is the annual cost of property taxes per $1,000 in assessed property value. Connecticut uses this and, to make your life more interesting, the mill rate is set by each individual town each year as part of the budget process. The mill rate applies to both real property (houses, condominiums, multi-families) and to personal property (motor vehicles). So there is not just one mill rate for the entire state, but 150+ different mill rates depending on the town you choose for your residence.

Multi-family properties are popular choices in West Hartford, Hartford & New Britain, with prices based on location, condition and number of units. Most of these properties have 2-3 housing units and the rental per unit per month ranges from $500 (1 BR, poor condition, weak location) to $1,600 (2-3 bedrooms, good condition, strong location). I have sold numerous multi-family homes to both owner-occupants and investors. Occupancy rates are very high for the landlords who invest in their properties and much lower for landlords who will not invest in their properties (time, management & money).

To learn more about relocation to West Hartford, please email me today!
Anne Miller, , Manchester, CT
Sat Mar 31, 2012
Nick, thanks for your question. We can help you in West Hartford and
surrounding areas. We are familiar with the rental and selling market
today...

You would be buying low right now and in 3-4 years from now will
again be a great return for your investment here., the experts are
saying in Connecticut. Good you are keeping California because
that condo too will increase in value much more around the same time.

For infomation on the towns you can look at our website,
AnneMillerRealEstate.com and see what each town offers.
When you arrive in connecticut, we will be glad to tour
you around showing you thedifferent neighborhoods you
might want to live in.

Wonderful time to look and buy for you now..interest rates
as low as 3 l/4%, many great homes to choose from,
and housing market improving every day.

Any further questions ..home 860-643-9505 office later
toll free 1-800-647-8002..Look forward to hearing from you.

Anne
Anne Miller Real Estate
Betsy Purtell, Agent, Cheshire, CT
Wed Mar 28, 2012
Nick,

The Connecticut market has been going strong through the first quarter of 2012. I am located in a town called Cheshire, CT about 25 minutes south of West Hartford. Cheshire is conveniently located between Hartford and New Haven and many folks who live here commute to work in both cities. The School system is very highly regarded here. I am a relocation specialist and I have worked with clients to find housing in and around West Hartford. Regarding the mill rate, each town establishes it's own mill rate. The mill rate is used in conjunction with property value to determin your annual real estate tax. Some towns have a higher mill rate but the property values are low, other towns have a lower mill rate, but the property values are high. Your real estate agent can help define your real estate needs and show you property listing in and around your disired areas.

Betsy Purtell, Realtor
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
Cheshire, CT
(203) 640-4440
http://www.CTTopAgent.com
Matt Christie, Agent, Simsbury, CT
Mon Apr 4, 2011
Hi Nick,
There are many nice towns within a very reasonable commute to West Hartford. It really depends on your specific needs. You should be able to get a very nice home under $300K in many of these towns. If you can tolerate up tp a 25 minute commute to West Hartford you should be able to get at least 2000 sq ft, 3 or 4 bed and 2 baths on a decent piece of land. A few minutes on the phone with me should clear up many questions about the area. Mill rates are different for every town. Call me or email any questions. The real estate market around Hartford can be difficult to figure out without talking to someone local.
Grace Jacobs, Agent, West HArtford, CT
Fri Mar 25, 2011
West Hartford Multi Familys are a good source of income I have listed and sold many Have you found a place yet. As an experenced Realtor I can help. Sorry this is a bit late. I recently joined this site . Let me know and I will send all the info for contact etc.

Take Care
Grace Jacobs

William Raveis Real Estate
West Hartford CT.