Reeds Beach/Delaware Bay - Bayfront properties

Asked by Lucyluwho, Lansdale, PA Tue Jan 15, 2008

Does anyone have any information on bayfront property on the Delaware Bay side of NJ? It looks to be a lot more affordable than the rest of the NJ shore. I see the horseshoe crabs mate there and the shorebirds love that part of the beach. Any input is appreciated!

Answers

8
Mike08251, Home Seller, Del Haven, NJ
Sat Sep 4, 2010
mine is for sale! Located in Del haven next to preserve
Loisac, Home Seller, Milford, DE
Mon Sep 21, 2009
I just listed my bayfront home for sale at Slaughter Beach, Delaware. We have enjoyed being there for every summer for many years, beaches that are never crowded, beautiful views, sandy beac hes. Let me know if you have any interest. rstjohn990@aol.com
Brian Morris, Home Buyer, reeds beach road
Fri Apr 11, 2008
I live up the road from the beach...The bug situation is much improved from years past...You get some
bad days but for the most part its not bad. The beaches are clean..most of the horeshoe crabs are gone.
Some of the best kayaking waters you'll ever find, fall is wonderfull..Prices are way down....
Jean, Home Buyer, 19460
Sun Apr 6, 2008
i sold my house there a few yrs ago. as a walkler, writer and textile person it served me well. i love the quiet and views and privacy. what i couldn't bear were the gnats and greenheads so big i had to go in the water with bug spray, or so many jellyfish my guests refused to go in the water. and swimming up against a floating horseshoe crab -- that's more than just a little creepy to an ocean-type swimmer like myself!!!!
David Green, Agent, Cape May, NJ
Tue Mar 25, 2008
Yes the water remains silty all year, but at times it is clearer than others.
Lucyluwho, , Lansdale, PA
Tue Mar 25, 2008
I noticed that the water is pretty silty - is the case all year, or just in the winter? Thanks!
Mary Ziegler, , Glassboro, NJ
Tue Mar 25, 2008
My grandfather built a house at Reed's Beach in 1926. It is now owned by my nephew. When the house was built there was about 150 feet of beach on the bayside of the house. After a jetty was built on the south side of the beach, most of the sand washed away, so that now, the house sits in the water at high tide. It is great on a sunny summer day because one can swim along side of or dive from the deck. Fish and crabs can be caught at high tide. One negative is that if you are there on a full moon tide and a storm comes up, you could be scared out of your wits because the road out gets covered with water, and you must stay until the storm passes over and the water subsides.
My family has has wonderful times at Reed's Beach. We usually gather there on the fourth of July for a great summer party. If you don't, mind the waves breaking under the house while you are trying to sleep, then you can have a great time fishing, swimming, and enjoying the view of the bay.
David Green, Agent, Cape May, NJ
Tue Jan 15, 2008
Hi Lucy,

The Delaware Bay area of NJ is I think the most undervalued region in the state. Although it has been getting up there the last few years. I recently sold my byfront home because it was too small and I am still looking to move back there in the next 5 years. I would say depending on your budget that the Cape May Beach area or Pierces Point is your best bet .

The migratory birds that come through each spring is a pretty big deal to locals. They flock by the millions to feed along our coast. The numbers have been way down in recent years though. Still there is nothing that compares to those sunsets.

Dave