Recommendations for home warranty?

Asked by CG, Sun Nov 3, 2013

I'm interested in a home warranty and got one recommendation - but in reviewing the docs, the warranty has a LOT of holes in for stuff that won't be covered...to the point where you wonder if it's really worth it at all. Anyone have any other recommendations for a good home warranty company with a fairly broad amount of coverage?

Answers

7
The Stephen…, Agent, Portland, OR
Tue Nov 5, 2013
They are also fairly inexpensive, so you get what you pay for. I would check out Fidelity Home Warranty, seems to be the best combination of price and coverage I've found.
Kevin and Ju…, Agent, Wildomar, CA
Tue Nov 5, 2013
All the companies offer similar coverages... You can buy additional coverage for items like a pool, or the roof, etc... We have used Old Republic and Fidelity National with good results.
Richard Matu…, Agent, San Jose, CA
Mon Nov 4, 2013
I have home warranty on my home and two properties in Livermore and Lodi.It has help me keep the properties up when things go. I have had air conditioner go out in Lodi and total cost was two thousand dollars instead with out home warranty would have cost me $5,500. Also the service calls are reasonable since most contractors charge $80.00 or more just to come out and look at the problem.

I would check with the different home warranty companies on what programs they have and how can you upgrade from a standard policy to better coverage.
Richard G.Matusich Realto/President/CDPE BRE#00358728
1-408-371-0700 ext 301
1-408-489-0700
Sal Vitale, Home Seller, Bronx, NY
Sun Nov 3, 2013
Home warranties can go in many directions e.g. in a brand newly built residence a warranty is usually good for the warranty of the products or particular item like a roof or boiler system. A warranty is usually "a year" in appliances and usually longer e.g. up to 20 years for items like a roof. Now when a warranty for a house that is older built e.g. more than 10 years old might not have any warranty on any items of the residence and would have "as is" in the contract and it's reasoning is that the item has lived it useful life. So a refrigerator that is about 10 years old is not going to live any longer and would have to eventually be replaced. So the builder or seller is not going to warranty that item. I have seen some items listed as warranty for life of the residence but would have to be back up by paperwork and some separate type of contract to the company of that item, e.g. "the roof".

I had this problem myself, when I purchase a residence in a cooperative that was in a newly built building but sat empty for 2 years. I requested a warranty repair on my stove and the company stated because it is 2 years old the stove was not covered under warranty, even though I just moved in and the item was never used until after the closing date. Unless it is completely covered by the builder/seller and/or it is written in the contract it will never be warranty by anyone but you paying for the repair yourself.

Now I have seen "home warranty companies" out on the internet, but is it worth it. It depends on a lot of factors of the residence that you're purchasing. It can go in many directions like I mention before. You can save your money for that rainy day or invest in a warranty company that you may never use or like you mention loop holes that it isn't worth it at all.

I would prefer to save my money into a bank account for that day when I need to replace or repair the item in the residence.

I hope I answer your question.
Amanda Chris…, Agent, Fort Wayne, IN
Sun Nov 3, 2013
I've used HSA Home Warranty with great success.
Terri Vellios, Agent, Campbell, CA
Sun Nov 3, 2013
They all vary. Do you have an agent? If so, they may have a representative they work with. It's not necessary until you need it. Look at the property you are purchasing and the age of items of what you need covered. If the water heater, dishwasher, furnace, a/c, etc. are old and at the end of their useful life the cost to repair or replace would more than be covered during the coverage in the event of failure.

First American Home Warranty
Old Republic Home Warranty
American Home Shield

And a few others.

Talk with your agent, they are your best resource.
Cindy Davis, Agent, San Diego, CA
Sun Nov 3, 2013
All of the companies have holes in them...at this point, they are pretty similar....

I've used First American, Fidelity, and Old Republic...god luck.