Recently moved to San Diego from Arlington, VA. Where is the best location for buying a condo using my VA benefit?

Asked by Michael Oliver, Chula Vista, CA Thu Aug 8, 2013

Answers

27
Rashard Scott, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu Aug 8, 2013
Hi Michael,

I am a Realtor and currently in the Navy as well. I am very experienced with assisting military personnel with obtaining VA loan approval and also making sure that you find a VA approved condo without any issues. I just closed a deal in which I was able to get $7,000 in credit for my VA buyer, which is pretty amazing in today's market!

My advice to you is to speak with a few Realtors and go with the one that you feel most comfortable with. Please feel free to contact me anytime at 619-565-3604 or scottie1421@gmail.com

Rashard Scott
RBD Residential
REALTOR®
Phone: 619-565-3604
Fax: 619-342-3332
Email: scottie1421@gmail.com
Website: http://www.militaryhomesinsandiego.com

CA BRE# 01703306
Richelle Szc…, Agent, La Jolla, CA
Thu Aug 8, 2013
Hi Michael,

The number one thing to do before going out looking at homes is to select a Realtor® who understands VA financing. It is important to check the VA approval list for the condo that you are interested in as only VA Approved complexes can be financed with the VA loan. Contact me for more details. I can put you in touch with a lender that does not charge origination fees as well!

619-200-5545

I hope to work with you to help you find a great condo!!

Richelle Szczygiel
William Brow…, Agent, La mesa, CA
Thu Aug 8, 2013
Hi Michael, There are VA approved condos in most area's of San Diego County. Best thing to do is let me set up a search for you on the San Deigo mls. I can search for homes offering VA terms. I started in real estate 20 years ago with a company called Veteran Real Estate. I know VA home loans. Contact me if you would like my help.

JR Thrasher, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu Aug 8, 2013
Where are you going to be stationed.
Maureen Bye…, Agent, Oceanside, CA
Thu Aug 8, 2013
Hello, Michelle, Thank you for your inquiry. I can send you a free list of accurate and current condos and town homes for sale in your price range in different areas for your consideration.
WEI LOVE MY VA BUYERS!! I provide personal professional service. So does my lender who has decades of VA financing experience also which is extremely important in any VA transaction. You can choose to benefit from my vast VA realty experiences. I know what to look for when I take you on a property tour since VA Appraisers inspections for financing approval is always more restrictive.
We have been working with VA buyers in multiple states for over four decades as a VA Designated Broker and Agent. Let's make home happen!! maureen@landangel.com or 760 622 6855
Web Reference:  http://www.coastal.biz
Jacques Albr…, Agent, Carlsbad, CA
Thu Aug 8, 2013
First see what you'll actually be able to qualify for and then you'll be in a great position to select your favorite San Diego community based on schools, water recreation and sports, proximity to work or ?? Do you want to buy a re-sale or a New condo? I recommend that you first get in touch with Ken Bates,"Mr VA" at Military Home Loans Financial Services, Office: (619) 422-5900 3914 Canyon Rd, Suite A144 San Diego, CA 92123. He knows what's up with VA loans and benefits. He'll be able to get you what you need.
John William…, Agent, San Diego, CA
Tue Aug 13, 2013
It really is about lifestyle and location. Downtown San Diego and Bankers Hill have nice condos, Mission Valley would offer larger condos with lower HOA's any REALTOR should be able to get a list of VA Approved properties for you. Good Luck.
William Brow…, Agent, La mesa, CA
Tue Aug 13, 2013
Michael,

I would be happy to meet with you for a consultation. You can borrow up to $500k with 0 down in San Diego County using your VA benefit. Of course not everyone has the desire or the capacity for that kind of a payment. I have a great VA loan officer, that can handle all the VA non-allowable closing costs so we won't have to weaken an offer by asking the seller to pay. It's a sellers market right now, and we will want to present any offer you make, as strongly as possible. I'm motivated to help clients to get settled in the home they want. Call me, or forward me your phone contact, if you want to move forward.

Best Regards

John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Tue Aug 13, 2013
Hi Michael, just checking in. Have you had any success finding a suitable condo yet? If you would like to take a look around North County I have plenty of condos I'd love to show you. Feel free to give me a call at 760 815-6977 anytime or you can email me at onthelevel@cox.net
Rene' De Bla…, , San Diego, CA
Tue Aug 13, 2013
If you want to be close to downtown, I would suggest the North Park/Hillcrest area. Anything in the downtown area is going to be rather pricey.
Susan Vander…, Agent, Lake Elsinore, CA
Sun Aug 11, 2013
Depends on how much is your CRV and how far you want to be from base? Feel free to contact me to further discuss.
Hector Gaste…, Agent, Coronado, CA
Thu Aug 8, 2013
Michael,

First of all thank you for your service to our great country. I live and work primarily in Chula Vista and can tell you that you get great value here in East Chula Vista (like Eastlake). Where will you work? what is your budget?

Hector R. Gastelum
Realty Executives Dillon
REALTOR #01382940
2240 Otay Lakes Rd.
Chula Vista, Ca 91915
hectorgastelum@yahoo.com
619-954-2225
efax 619-270-2516
Brian Aarest…, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu Aug 8, 2013
Do you like Chula Vista? Or, are there other areas in San Diego that you are interested in? There is a lot of good information below, but lets talk about it in a little more detail. Give me a call 858-525-3262

Brian Aarestad
Prudential California Realty
Home Services of America, A Berkshire Hathaway Company
Fax: 619-521-0100
DRE # 01839557
baarestad@pcrcc.com

Your referrals determine my success. Please tell your family, friends and co-workers about me.
Craig G Hodg…, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu Aug 8, 2013
Yes Michael she is right about the complexes. A lot of the newer conversion and some of the newer did not get VA approved. It will all depend on how much you qualify for and if you need seller to pay your closing cost.
Let me know If I can be of help.
Craig 619-279-1275
craig@sandiegoreoteam.com
Sinead McAll…, Agent, Oceanside, CA
Thu Aug 8, 2013
Hi Michael,
It's going to be dependant on each condo complex and whether or not they are VA-approved. I work all over San Diego County, but specialize in North County. Feel free to contact me and we canget started.

Thanks!
​Sinead McAllister-Clifford
Real Estate Broker/ Realtor®
Trulia®'s #1 Recommended Broker in Oceanside, Carlsbad, Encinitas, Cardiff, Bonsall & Vista!
McAllister Homes Real Estate
Residential Sales & Property Management
http://www.McAllisterHomes.com
License 01366009
858-205-5215 CELL
info@mcallisterhomes.com EMAIL
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Thu Aug 8, 2013
Depends on where in SD you wish to live. South County Inland or coastal, North County Inland or coastal, East County Rural East County i.e. Alpine, Ramona, Julian, etc. Need more feed back for a more prudent answer.
Michael Alex, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu Aug 8, 2013
Hi Michael,

Conrad's on having a VA voucher! You will take advantage of not paying any monthly mortgage insurance, which save you hundreds of dollar's a month.You can use your VA benefit anywhere in San Diego.

Are you familiar with San Diego County? What are your recreational needs? What type of neighborhood do you want to live in? Do you want to be near or walking distance to shopping, nightlife, restaurants, hiking trails, parks, ocean, etc? What type of floor plan do you prefer?

By giving me the answers to these questions I can recommend the best location? I always recommend my clients to preview properties in different locations, you will then feel confident of where you want to live. If you need assistance contact me anytime.

Best to you,

Michael Alex
Real Estate Consultant
“The Trustworthy Choice in Real Estate”
cell. 858.652.9218 | fax. 619.269.3766
email. AskMichaelAlex@gmail.com
Pacific Sotheby's International Realty
San Diego, CA
Royce Kemp, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu Aug 8, 2013
Welcome Michael,

SD is a great place to buy a condo. I own several throughout the County and can advise you from an investment perspective what areas make a good choice, in light of your personal needs and wants. The first thing you want to do is get yourself pre-approved. If you need referrals to a good VA lender, I have a few you can check out. Once pre-approved you'll be set to hunt for a condo. Now is the time before rates go up further, they're still at historic lows, so get on it before you lose any more buying power. Good luck and feel free to reach out if you have any more questions.

Royce Kemp
Premiere Properties
Web Reference:  http://www.roycekemp.com
Rod Powers, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu Aug 8, 2013
92064 (Poway)
92126 (Mira Mesa)
92129 (Penasquitos)
Escondido....

Call if you have questions,

-- Rod --
(858) 243-3699

Powers HomeSelling Team
Serving San Diego Families for 31 Years!

Your interest 1st!

PowersRealEstateTeam@gmail.com
Lic # 00897145
Ryan Lamb, Agent, Honolulu, HI
Thu Aug 8, 2013
Greetings Michael!

Are you still on active duty? If so where are you stationed? I actually just got back from Virginia last week, had to move my wife out to D.C. for a year (active duty Marine). I left active duty in 2011, the same year I first used my VA loan benefit. There are a lot of great places in San Diego to buy a condo, it ultimately comes down to your budget and how far you want to be from work. I would love to assist a fellow veteran in your search! Let me know if I can help.

Ryan Lamb
Buyer Specialist / REALTOR®
Reef Point Realty & Construction

716-997-6504 (C)

Ryan@ReefPointRealty.com http://www.ReefPointRealty.com
Kathy And Vi…, , San Diego, CA
Thu Aug 8, 2013
Hi Michael.
I just closed a VA condo deal and am familiar with a buyers needs. Please give me a call and I'd be happy to help.
858-401-0475
vpayne310@yahoo.com
Kathy And Vi…, , San Diego, CA
Thu Aug 8, 2013
Hi Michael.
858-401-0475
vpayne310@yahoo.com
Chris Francis, Agent, Murrieta, CA
Thu Aug 8, 2013
There are many condos in this area. How far would you be willing to commute. And as was already mentioned, some condos can't be VA financed if not approved on the VA portal. I can check these for you though. And of course, what are you budgeting for? Price will impact location.
Web Reference:  http://www.semperfihomes.com
Brandon Long, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu Aug 8, 2013
Welcome Michael!
Give me a call on my cell 619-990-3179 or shoot me an email: BrandonLong@regionalrealty.org
I work specifically with VA buyers and know all the local "hot spots"!

Glad to have you hear.
Daniel Di Ma…, Agent, Chula Vista, CA
Thu Aug 8, 2013
I think this all depends on your lifestyle.
Have kids? You may want to focus on highly ranked schools such as in East Chula Vista or Poway. Single? You might enjoy the nightlife in a more urban setting such as the Gaslamp or Little Italy in Downtown San Diego. Most condo complexes (not all) allow for VA financing so you do have lots to choose from.

I'd be happy to help you out with your search.
Just give me a call.

Daniel Di Matteo
CENTURY 21 Award
619-512-0006
Web Reference:  http://www.DiMatteoGroup.com
, ,
Thu Aug 8, 2013
We can certainly help you out. You can check us out at http://www.TheMortgageOutlet.com and give us a call. One of our loan officers will look at your situation and present you with some options.
Cory La Scala, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu Aug 8, 2013
Hi Michael,

The best place to start is to see which condo complexes are VA-approved in the areas you're looking. You can start with areas close to work, or with the schools you want, or whatever criteria is important to you.

If you want, I can send you some preliminary listings in your price range in VA-approved complexes. From there you can narrow down your areas. If you're not sure of your price range, we can start with a monthly payment that you're comfortable with. Feel free to email or call me off forum.

Warm Regards,

Cory La Scala, REALTOR
Independence Realty
619-825-6421 Direct
619-884-3452 Cell
c.lascala@cox.net
Lic # 01443391