Realtors protocol? See below

Asked by Laurie, Barrington, IL Thu Jul 16, 2009

If I saw a home from the listing agent (I wasn't using any agent at the time and called direct) and then later using my friend's agent, how do I handle seeing a home that's listed by the former, but highly recommended to see by my current agent? (On top of this, the former agent gave me a stack of listings, including the house in question, but I didn't notice until my current agent recommended it.)

Answers

1
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Thu Jul 16, 2009
Hi Laurie,

What was the extent of your involvement with the initial agent? Did you enter into an agreement to work with him/her?

If you have not done anything to declare an exclusive relationship with this agent you should be free to work with anyone you desire. Our recommendation is to be upfront with the agent, telling them that you are interested in their property, however you have a relationship with a real estate professional you need to honor.