Real estate values in Lafayette Hills area do not appreciate as much as in the other parts of Lafayette. Is it a long term trend? Do you know why?

Asked by mikeroginsky, Lafayette, CA Wed Mar 6, 2013

Answers

4
Linda Ehrich, Agent, Orinda, CA
Wed Mar 6, 2013
Hi Mike,

There is an unincorporated area of Lafayette that is not in the Lafayette (elementary and intermediate) or Acalanes High School districts. The majority of home buyers move to Lafayette for the schools. As a result, this area has lower home prices and does not appreciate as well as homes in those districts. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if I can assist you with any of your real estate needs. Linda Ehrich I linda@lindaehrich.com I (925) 698-1462
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Wed Mar 6, 2013
Maybe too small of a sample to draw any long term conclusions.
Todd Scheid, Agent, Walnut Creek, CA
Wed Mar 6, 2013
It is all about the schools.
Troy Fedders…, Agent, Lafayette, CA
Wed Mar 6, 2013
I don't see a big difference in long term appreciation potential accross the various Lafayette neighborhoods, that are within the Lafayette School District. Almost all of Lafayette Hills is in Lafayette schools. Buyers I have been showing homes in Lafayette consider multiple neighborhoods, although some want to be close in to downtown or to Hwy 24, or like a specific areas, such as Burton Valley, or Happy Valley, for example.
The mix of homes can influence apparent appreciation rates in different neighborhoods. Many homes are original, and many more have been updated extensively or made into new larger homes. This varies by neighborhood. In neighborhoods where there are major renovations or additions to homes, average sales prices go up more than appreciation alone. In areas like Lafayette Hills, and the downtown trail neighborhood, for example, not as many homes are expanded and redone, and while appreciation will outpace other parts of the county, due to good schools and our excellent community, the overall appreciation is driven by the overall local housing market.
The good news is that we still have very low inventory, and it is already March. It is a sellers market, and home prices are going up. That overall trend should continue for at least the next few years of the real estate market cycle.
If you have more questions about the market, please contact me and I would be happy to chat about it.
Troy Feddersen
Broker Associate
925-550-2353
3799 Mt. Diablo Blvd., #100
Lafayette, CA 94549
http://www.Lamorinda.net