Home Buying in Brooklyn>Question Details

Christine, Home Buyer in 11412

Real Estate Agent Response Times

Asked by Christine, 11412 Wed Dec 23, 2009

This question is for real estate agents. How quickly do you answer the emails that you get via Trulia indicating that a potential buyer isrequesting additional information? I have been surprised by the lack of response to some of my requests. I'm looking to buy a home in January. Is this an unreasonable timeframe?

Answers

6
Alan, I am floored by what you say "studies" show: average response time 72 hours to never??? What studies? You may be right but in a business that usually jumps on every lead, as proven many times on this website when agents have a tendency to divebomb a prospect with "PICK ME" I just can't wrap my mind around this. It seems counterintuitive, especially these days when so many agents are hurting.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 23, 2009
Thanks everyone for your reponses.I guess my question was really around whether agents took referrals from trulia seriously. I see from the answers here that there is probably a mix of response times. I will probably be posting a lot of questions because I am looking for a house very aggressively and will need some 2nd opinions and insightful advice! Thank, christine
Hi Christine,

The request for more info from the Trulia site is usually emailed directly to the Agent who owns the listing, not to the broker, not to a triage center.

Because it is going to an individual (the agent) you are going to have about as many scenarios as agents. Of course most agents would like to think that they are replying ASAP (including me) but business and life realities can be different.

If you are getting a lack of response (meaning after few days) and you are really interested in a specific house, call the Broker, they will be more than happy to get someone to show you the house or get you more details.

Also if you hire a real estate Agent (in most cases at no cost to the buyer), then all you have to do is email him/her the house you are interested in and he/she will get more details for you and set showings, etc..

Catherine "Cathy" Chaudemanche
Real estate agent & Realtor associate
Agent Leadership Council
Keller Williams / Middlesex County market center
Web Reference: http://yourhousefast.com
An immediate response is only fair--if out with a client or in meeting, within a couple of hours-- and always on the same day.

Anna
Dear Christine:

I always reply ASAP! I have my email forwarded to my BlackBerry and usually will send a reply or call right away if a phone number is provided. The only time I cannot do that is if I am in the middle of another appointment or in the shower. Still I would reply to the consumer within the hour.

In the real estate business if you snooze you lose. If the agent is not responding to you in a timely fashion, as they say, there are plenty of fish in the sea!

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665
Cellular: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
I try to reply instantly... i get e-mails to my phone.

but not all agents are as "connected".

studies have shown that the average response time is 72 hours - never.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL