Question about 30- and 40-somethings in Naples

Asked by beachsungoddess, Naples, FL Mon Jan 14, 2013

Hi all! I'm a single 30-something professional considering moving out of my current COLD climate and relocating to Naples. I have found a lot of negative opinions of Naples (i.e. full of retirees, boring, etc.) but most of them are several years ago. I have found a few opinions more recently that say it's no longer like that and has some great areas for people in my age group. While I do enjoy nightlife, I am more concerned with being able to be outside as much as possible and really just a more laid back lifestyle. I love little shops, restaurants etc. as opposed to crazy South Beach-style party scene. I will likely be working from home, in the mortgage industry, if that matters. I'd be interested in some current opinions, and any suggestions you may have for areas to search for housing in. I would likely initially rent a condo or house, but buy in the very short term. Also, if you have other towns/cities you recommend, I would be open to that too. I also enjoy cities li

Answers

11
Janine Monfo…, Agent, Naples, FL
Wed Jan 16, 2013
Hi 30 and something...If you are really concerned with being outside, I can recommend Naples 100%. I have lived in many cities: Miami FL, Tampa FL, Talahasee FL, Los Angeles CA, Newport Beach CA, San Diego CA, Atlanta GA, Fort Myers FL, in that order, and when I got to Naples 17 years ago, I thought, I am HOME! I love the outdoor lifestyle here, there are beautiful bike and jogging paths everywhere, I do my errands by bike, I ride my bike to sunset to our many gorgeous beaches, I have lovely friends, who have the same values as I do. Nightlife is there when you want it, and it is FUN! You just don't WANT it as much here, because there is so much here that is better than that. There are many cities to consider in your position, but if you TRULY want to enjoy the outdoors, in a warm climate year round, while having great shopping recreational and dining options, Naples is #1. I am grateful every day that I found this little paradise.

I specialize in working with buyers, helping them find the right communities for them, at the right price. The previous comments are all accurate, plus, to help in your search, because Collier County is huge, put various zip codes into Google, you will get demographics, age being a big one, and that will help you to focus on your best areas to live. I will be happy to help you find your niche in paradise if you decide to come to Naples.

Contact me anytime;

Janine Monfort
239-641-0990
Email: JM@BestNaples.com
Miekeba Jones, Agent, Silver Spring, MD
Tue Jan 15, 2013
Hi beachsungoddess, Key West is lovely. Do you need help finding a Realtor in Naples?
Not at this time. I need to first secure a position that allows me to work remotely. I am a mortgage underwriter and it's fairly common, especially now. I am in consideration for several such positions it's just a matter of getting an offer from the right one, and then I can move forward. If I am renting initially and want to rent a condo or townhome, is it better to go through a realtor for that?
Flag Wed Jan 16, 2013
beachsungodd…, Home Buyer, Naples, FL
Tue Jan 15, 2013
Thanks to everyone who responded. I feel much better. I am waiting to here back from a few positions that allow me to work remotely. So once I secure employment, I will definitely take another visit and feel out the different neighborhoods.
Nancy Linder, Agent, Punta Gorda, FL
Tue Jan 15, 2013
Coming from a person who is in that age bracket, Naples does have more than retirees. Many people who are younger in Naples do work out of their homes. Tele-commuting is common in this age group, however, there are still people who work from offices located in Naples. Why work in frozen land when you can work in paradise?! Most people in Naples are NOT FROM Naples, so you have a diverse American and Foreign population.

To meet people in Naples, since I work out of my home, I joined many "meetup groups". I do everything from beach volleyball (I'm not good though!), dining, cultural events, low-key parties/get togethers, and more. I wanted to be in the warm weather and at a beach, and through exploring other cities, I landed on Naples as my favorite. Because of the location, I can get to bigger cities from 30mins to the North, and 90mins to the West. I came from a big city so driving isn't a problem--and people drive fast here!

I'm a Real Estate Agent, and as other agents have recommended certain areas, I will also recommend areas that are not as expensive. It all depends on your budget and the lifestyle you want. Everything is just literally a few miles away, so the choices are abundant.

I will listen to your wants and needs and help you find the place that fits you best, if it takes seeing 1 condo/home or 50 to make up your mind. It's all about you and not about me. I will guide and assist to help you focus and narrow the homes that actually fit what you are looking for, but in the end, I'm not living there, you are. You have to be happy with where you are living, otherwise I haven't done my job.

If you just want to talk about the different areas and get advice, with no pressure or obligation, or have questions or want to see a place, give me a call. I take calls day or night.

Nancy Linder
REALTOR
Naples Realty Services, Inc.
4980 Tamiami Trail North, Ste. 200
Naples, FL 34103
Office: 239-262-4333
Cell (preferred): 314-616-2313 (It's a MO number, but I do live and work in Naples year-round)
Email: NancyLinder@NaplesRealtyServices.com
Website: http://www.NancyForNaplesHomes.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NancyForNaplesHomes
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/NancyJLinder
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/NancyLinder
Marc Comisar, Agent, Bonita Springs, FL
Tue Jan 15, 2013
I have to say.....you are probably a perfect match for the area. Enjoy.....you will not regret it. The only issue if I have to find something negative is it is Transient.....

jessemcgreevy@gmail.com
239-898-5329
http://www.Domain-RealtyGroup.com
Kevin Rathbu…, Agent, Naples, FL
Tue Jan 15, 2013
Hello Beach Sun Goddess,

I am in that age range and demographic. Naples has a vibrant nightlife with the advent of the Mercato and completely redeveloped waterside Shoppes as well and the traditional 3rd ST ad 5th Ave areas. I can say this Naples is clean safe and has amazing amenities and beaches to die for with easy parking. Unlike many areas in South Florida.

The more urban areas are fun for a quick getaway Miami is 2hrs away Fort Lauderdale 90min. And live is pristine Naples. If you have any further questions Please feel free to Contact me.

Kind Regards, Kevin

Kevin Rathburn, Realtor
239-269-4575 Direct Line
KRnaples@gmail.com

KevinRathburn.com Integrity-Diligence-Innovation
Pam & John G…, Agent, Naples, FL
Tue Jan 15, 2013
Good morning Beach Sun Goddess, Naples sound like a perfect match for you. As with most locations, Naples is a lot of what you make it. Naples has many things to do, many are upscale, we have become known as an art community. Naples is also known for its miles of beach, tons of boating opportunities, and by many considered the golfing capital of the world.

So come on down. Call for more definitive answers. 239-963-9182 and or email pamandjohn@naplesnavigators.com
Jim Olive, Agent, Key West, FL
Tue Jan 15, 2013
Sounds to me like you're describing Key West, not Naples! And since Key West is the only continental city in the US that has never seen frost, you'll be out and about a lot more down here. I lived in Fort Myers for many years and am quite familiar with the west coast of Florida, and it's all still pretty vanilla to me, with a few exceptions like Captiva. The American Caribbean is the only place in Florida for me. Though there are retirees here, they are not the majority and you RARELY get stuck behind one in your car wishing they had turned their license in when they should have (which happens often up in SW Florida). If you're working from home, there's no place better to do it than Key West(and there are a LOT of people living here who do just that). Now, that said, you can get a lot more for your money in Naples or SW Florida. Seems there are a LOT of folks that share my opinion, and that drives up the price of our limited acreage down here. Can't beat it for charm and laid back tropical living, but it comes at a price. Best of luck with your transition, and if you want to learn a little more about life in the American Caribbean, here are some blog entries on it:

http://www.trulia.com/blog/jim_olive/2012/06/key_west_the_am…

http://www.trulia.com/blog/jim_olive/2012/05/key_west_a_cult…

http://www.trulia.com/blog/jim_olive/2012/05/the_two_faces_o…

http://www.trulia.com/blog/jim_olive/2012/06/why_buy_real_es…
Peggy Wagner-…, Agent, Naples, FL
Tue Jan 15, 2013
Are there lots of retirees in Naples? Yes! But has the median age in Naples gone down over the past couple of decades, absolutely. You say that you like a more laid-back lifestyle and that's what you'll find on the SW coast, I believe. If you want South Beach once or twice a year, it's a short commute.

Now for areas to live. The newer communities seem to have a lower median age than some of the older, extremely expensive, but very upscale areas, such as Old Naples. You should make a trip down and look around. You'll be able to see communities for yourself and I think you'll just know which ones "feel" right for you when you are there.

If I can be of help, please don't hesitate to contact me directly, or go to my website to search:

http://www.BonitaNaplesEsteroHomes.com
Tom Doyle, Agent, Naples, FL
Tue Jan 15, 2013
Hello beachsungoddess,
Sorry to hear about your freezing situation.
I have found a lot of negative opinions of Naples (i.e. full of retirees- TRUE DURING THE WINTER, boring - NOT TRUE, EXCEPT FOR BORING PEOPLE
but most of them are several years ago. NAPLES IS THE SAME AS SEVERAL YEARS AGO
I have found a few opinions more recently that say it's no longer like that and has some great areas for people in my age group. YES IT DOES
While I do enjoy nightlife, I am more concerned with being able to be outside as much as possible and really just a more laid back lifestyle. I love little shops, restaurants etc. as opposed to crazy South Beach-style party scene. NAPLES WILL BE PERFECT
I'd be interested in some current opinions, and any suggestions you may have for areas to search for housing in. YOU WANT TO BE IN THE ZONE
Also, if you have other towns/cities you recommend - NO
Naples is a second home destination during the winter months. This is not reflected in any US census or demographic data, as those residents are not counted in Naples(they are counted at their main home). If you visit any of Naples main destination spots in the winter(places of appeal where people of all ages like to go, particularly the affluent), you will see a high concentration of these mostly retired second home owners. Strip them out of the picture and you will be left with a much smaller and younger group. Visit in the summer and that is what it will be like.
These second home owners are not out at 11pm on weekends whooping it up, that would be younger locals, or hopeless elders.
As far as the area you want to reside, you want to be in the ZONE. The area called "Naples" covers an area as large as Los Angeles, of which a section of about 20% contains Naples popular destination areas. That is the area, or near that you want to reside.
You can find out more about the ZONE here
http://www.naplesx2.com
Jerry Ruppel, Agent, Cape Coral, FL
Tue Jan 15, 2013
Based on what you are asking I think Naples would fit you perfectly. Although there are plenty of places to enjoy the night life, this is not party town. Places such as the Mercato draw in enjoyable night life with lots of people in your age, music, food and drinks.

Mercato also has a lot of good shops including a book store and World Foods. We also have a Trader Joes just north of Mercato. Downtown 5th Street is another great area for shops , good food and music.

As far as enjoying the weather, it's hard to beat Naples anywhere and our beaches are wonderful.
.

Jerry Ruppel
Starlink Realty
2139-877-4100
If you have any questions about an area, please let me know