Purchased condo that does not have a certificate of Occupancy and developer never had a permit from building & safety to make the conversion.

Asked by Rick, Valley Village, CA Sat Apr 2, 2011

Do the realtors have any responsibility for not checking this out before we closed escrow?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Kobi Costa, Agent, Encino, CA
Sat Apr 2, 2011
If Realtor knew about this and puposely misled you, the Realtor may have some responsibility. Aside from that, it is not Realtor's responsibility to check for permits or C of O.

Good luck!
Web Reference:  http://www.KobiCosta.com
0 votes
It's too bad, but you really do need to check for that kind of certification before proceeding with the sell. If you had an inspection done then you should have run into something like this. Now it might be too late to do anything more than apply for certification now. http://www.localfire.com.au/services.php
Flag Fri Mar 27, 2015
David Cooper, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Sat Apr 2, 2011
How did you get financing?

David Cooper Las Vegas Foreclosure Investor in Bank Owned Houses with Cash Flow selling 20% below market. Freee List Call +17024997037. not a real estate agent
0 votes
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Sat Apr 2, 2011
Not the Realtor problem surprised the title company or lender did not catch this

Contact the title company review your concerns or attorney

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
0 votes
Beatrice M.…, Agent, Sherman Oaks, CA
Sat Apr 2, 2011
Hi Rick,
Sorry to hear of such an unfortunate situation. Were you represented by your own agent or the Builder's listing agent? Builder and his agent(s) should have given all necessary dsiclosures in re to the status of the conversion. When you wrote the offer had your agent provided you with a number of disclosures which strongly encouraged you to do your own independed property inspections and investigations, including permits, to satisfy your knowledge of what you were purchasing. Before calling an atty gather and read all documents and disclsoures you were provided with during Escrow so you can have a fresh understanding of what you signed. Next I suggest to contact the Title Co insuring the property and talk to the Title Officer, they should help you. This is a problem for them as well. If they are not assisting you in resolving this, contact a real estate atty.
I hope you'll be able to have this issue resolved quickly and at no expense to you, so you can enjoy the place and being a home owner.

Beatrice Stambulski
DRE lic # 1335053
2010 Top 8% Producer
Diamond Society Award
0 votes
Olja Mihic, Agent, Tahoe City, CA
Sat Apr 2, 2011
It is very likely that you had to sign a lot of disclosures from the broker where it states that buyer is responsible for doing any investigation they choose at their cost, which puts the burden on the buyer to do independent investigations, but you should have also gotten a transfer disclosure statement from the seller in which the seller is responsible for disclosing any unpermitted work. Check all your purchase documents, then consult an attorney as you may have legal rights against the seller and not the agent.
0 votes
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sat Apr 2, 2011
Was a title search conducted...at this point it may be in your best interest to consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate, he/she can best advise, see what options you may have....
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Valley Village Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more