Procedure when owner out of state renting out property

Asked by Mscartier92507, Vancouver, WA Sun Dec 1, 2013

Answers

6
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Sun Dec 1, 2013
This is the perfect setup for a scam. Out of state owner renting or out of country owner. NEVER send money - NEVER. Never do anything unless the owner can open the door and show you the rental, otherwise it is likely a scam. Use your common sense.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sun Dec 1, 2013
If you are the owner consider listing with a broker; if you are the renter, be aware that scams do exist and for scam related information see link http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/05/rentalscam.shtm
Mscartier925…, , Vancouver, WA
Sun Dec 1, 2013
I was going to be the renter but when I asked more questions I declined it. He was supposedly out of state and could show me the inside. The pictures sent were on other sites.
smart move!
Flag Sun Dec 1, 2013
Jean Rychlik, Agent, Portland, OR
Sun Dec 1, 2013
Just to be clear, are you the owner or the renter?
Sally Grenier, Agent, Boulder, CO
Sun Dec 1, 2013
I agree with other agents. It's very risky to be dealing with an out of state owner. How do you know they are the real owner, and not a scam artist? It's pretty tough to tell. Usually if the deal is too good to be true, it probably is. You can try contacting a local realtor to see if the home is indeed for sale or for rent. (many scam artists pull info from properties listed for sale, but then say it's for rent and they happen to be out of state or the country often "doing gods work"). The crooks even know how to access public records AND create email accounts under that person's name. So it seems like you're dealing with the owner, but you're not. Be very careful.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sun Dec 1, 2013
The "procedure" is to verify you're dealing with the real owner!

To be safe - ask a local agent to make sure the name you're given IS the owner.....and , as Tim pointed out, make sure it isn't a scam.

Did they say the home is vacant, and no one can show it to you in person? (don't be fooled if they have photos - scammers hijack photos from the real listings)

Do they have some sort of story as to why they are out of state? (did they say they are thankful to have found you, because all they want is someone to love and take good care of their home? They can be very creative!)

Did they ask you to share any personal information - fill out an "application"?

Have they asked you to wire money for the keys?

most of all, and the biggest red flag is...........
Does it sound TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE? (rent seems too low???) - well, that's because it isn't true!

If "yes" to most or all of the above.............run in the opposite direction - it's a scam!