Power Lines in Dunwoody

Asked by Ncr, Atlanta, GA Thu Jun 5, 2008

We're looking at buying a house in Dunwoody, but my wife is worried about the power lines that are in that area, because we have a 3 yr old and have seen articles on the net regarding an increase in health problems later in life for young children living too close to power lines.

What is the recommended safe distance from power lines when you have small children?
Just how much energy is being transferred across those particular power lines in Dunwoody?

I've heard said that if you stand close to them with a light bulb in hand, it will light up. Never tried it, but do you think it's fact or fiction?

Any helpful information/links is appreciated. Thanks.

Answers

9
Truthbetold, Home Buyer, 30338
Fri Jun 13, 2008
Here is some basic Physics that will help you. The "right hand rule"(google it) is in effect here. When a current passes through a wire, a field is travels radially around the wire. Once the field hits a grounded shield (literally the ground in this case), then it is "Grounded out". Therefore, this basic physic fact implies that as long as you a farther away from the wire than the wires distance to the ground you are potentially okay. You definitely do not want to be in the path of the field on its way to the ground.for a long period of time. Now the general public is ignorant of this knowledge, and actually thinks that everything on the web is true! That being said. I would not buy a home near a power line, and in this collapsing market you certainly have no need to do so. Ignore the "everything is just fine" picture that the real estate agents continue to cling to, and hold out for the house YOU really want to buy. Greater than 1 years housing inventory coming by the end of the year. Cheers :)
Dan Connolly, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Fri Jun 6, 2008
If you are talking 1000 feet away (that is 20 city lots) I don't think you have anything to worry about. If you like the house, go for it!
Ncr, Both Buyer And Seller, Atlanta, GA
Fri Jun 6, 2008
Thanks to all for responding to my question.

To put it in more concrete terms, we're looking at buying a house around 300m (~ 1000 ft) away from the power lines. There are trees in between the house and lines, so no direct line of sight.

It's no problem for me, but for me to proceed with this transaction, I need to get the WAF (wife acceptance factor) from the "wisdom of the crowds" to bless it and say it's OK to buy it.
Malcolm Boar…, Agent, Emerald Isle, NC
Fri Jun 6, 2008
Ncr,
The fear of power line is a real serious problem. Homes in and around power line often have a difficult time with resales or loss of value due to concerns of health problems. Most buyers representative with good knowledge of Dunwoody should be able to help you look at the relative value of the home near the power grid as compared to the other home in the general area. Make sure to actual compare growth in value as well as resaleability (days on market). The numbers should be very clear.
If you have other questions regarding power line, please contact me at the email or cell number below.

Malcolm R. Boartfield, ABR
Prudential Georgia Realty
Fine Home Specialist
http://www.buycobbhomes.com
Cell 404-915-5891
malcolm@pgragent.com
Web Reference:  http://www.buycobbhomes.com
Natascha M K…, Agent, Alpharetta, GA
Fri Jun 6, 2008
We have sold (both on listing side and buying side) homes with power lines right next to home/property.
As far as safety, Georgia Power claims they are safe however it would be up to you. Many people are fine and comfortable living next to the lines while others do not. It is totally a personal choice. Probably a good idea to research this with reliable information. We have a relative who is a scientist and they purchased a home next to very large power lines and lived there for years. He is very smart and even has several patents. We spoke about it a couple of times and he never had a doubt he was safe however that was his opinion based on his research. We will tell you these types of properties are generally harder to resale. Ultimately you and your family have to be the ones who make the final decision and have to be comfortable with your decision.
Web Reference:  http://www.purrfecthome.com
Dan Connolly, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Thu Jun 5, 2008
There is a`lot of research which proves that there is more electromagnetic radiation from a microwave or a TV set than the power lines. Also countless studies that prove no higher incidence of cancers etc. from the power lines. (Mainly funded by the power companies) Yet the public opinion that there is a danger persists, so that long term appreciation and the ease of selling your home in the future could be affected.
Pamela Holmes, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Thu Jun 5, 2008
Hi Nor,
I live in Dunwoody with my children quite near the power lines. I researched this subject and the research is split. Google "power line risk " for yourself and you will see what I mean. Dunwoody is desirable because the schools are great, the quality of life is amazing and the fact that you are minutes from literally everything without living in a 2 br/1 ba house won us over.

For other questions regarding power line risks I suggest that you contact Georgia Power directly.

If you decide to move to Dunwoody, I would be happy to help you with your move. My site, http://www.DunwoodyUSAHomes.com should help you with most of the information you need when relocating to this area. If there is anything else you need, feel free to call me directly at 404-429-9244.

Pamela
Judy Wittenb…, Agent, Suwanee, GA
Thu Jun 5, 2008
I wish I knew the answer to your question but I don't. Some people think there are risks involved in being close to power lines and others will argue that it isn't. I would google the subject and see what comes up.
Or try ask.com.

What I do know is that regardless of the answer, when it comes ttime to sell that house, if there are power lines nearby you will have a harder time selling it than if there are not any. That will be for the same reason you are asking the question...many people are concerned and don't want to take the risk.

I will be looking forward to see what others have to say on this subject also.

Judy Wittenberg
James Dudley, Agent, Suwanee, GA
Thu Jun 5, 2008
Nor,

I think the light bulb story is fiction. If not I would like to see it and give uncle fester a run for his money!

There are many stories about this subject posted all over the internet. I'm not sure what evidence is conclusive or not. I do know in terms of home resale it can be a bad thing. If you can see the powerlines from the home then I would say no. If you have to sell your property any buyer will have the same concerns that you have right now.