Please recommend some nice, safe and green towns in NJ similar to Fairfield, CT

Asked by Alex.lewis.iv, Vernon, NJ Wed Aug 3, 2011

We will be moving from Europe (Enfield n/London, UK) to US and my husband will be working in NYC. We are looking for a single-family house in a nice, green and safe town either in NJ or CT. We fell in love with Fairfield, CT, but may have to look at something a bit closer (up to 1,5 h commute time). Is there anything similar to Fairfield or better in NJ county? Are the taxes much higher in NJ that CT? We have a 10 months old baby and would like to find a great place to raise him in a spacious house with a beautiful back yard and a pool (optional) in a safe town close to the parks, beach and/or lake but also with some small town life and good restaurants. Good schools is an important factor as well. We don't want to live in the grey city, full of massive buildings but rather in a relaxed and green town. I would appreciate your recommendations:)

Answers

9
Patricia Bow…, , New Jersey
Wed Aug 3, 2011
Alex -

There are many areas of NJ that are similar to Fairfield, CT - one of the most popular towns is Montclair and its neighboring areas like North Caldwell. Millburn/Short Hills, Summit are also very much what you are looking for. These are a sampling of towns with great commuting to NYC. If I can be any assistance in your search, please contact me at pvbowers@comcast.net or my cell (973-432-5710).

Best of luck - you will get many responses to your question but I'd love to hear from you.

Pat Bowers
Realtor Associate - Prudential NJ Properties
Alex.lewis.iv, Home Buyer, Vernon, NJ
Wed Aug 24, 2011
Thank you all for very good suggestions, I really appreciate your help:) My husband (Alex) visited Montclair and its neighboring areas and really liked South Orange. We found a beautiful house in Newstead, on the hills and decided to buy it. Fingers crossed for the inspections being carried out this week... It looks like the neighborhood is perfect, location is excellent and the town has a lot to offer. The house is bigger than what we were originally looking for (of course!;) but it is really outstanding and we look forward to moving there. Thank you all for welcoming notes and kind words:-)

Kasia Lewis
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Sun Aug 7, 2011
All good suggestions - would add Warren, just across 78 from Basking Ridge and a bit kinder budget wise. Both Warren and Basking Ridge are considered good tax values - offering a variety of housing choices across a wide pricing spectrum and well regarded schools.

Take a look at this MARKET INSIDER report - it provides comparative info on these two popular communities. You can use this tool to learn more about any community and compare one to another as I have done here.
http://www.searchhomesinbaskingridge.com/micompare/zip/07059…

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference:  http://www.feenick.com
Jennifer Bla…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Sun Aug 7, 2011
Basking Ridge, Summit, Westfield, Chatham.... all super close to NYC!
Alan Ellenbo…, Agent, Montclair, NJ
Fri Aug 5, 2011
Alex, short answer, if you are considering buying an older home, then you should focus on making that home "energy efficient". If you buy a new home, make sure it conforms the LEED standards.

If you want a NYC community - but with a back yard, parks, etc., then you should really consider Montclair – community also includes mind set, cultural diversity and politics.

Try my search engine at http://www.GreenHome-AdvantageNJ.com which has the ability to compare communities side by side. Might help.

Welcome to NYC - which is surrounded by the USA. :-)) ENJOY!

Alan Ellenbogen
Keller Williams - NJ Metro Group
alanellenbogen1@gmail.com
(973) 477-9270
Laura Gianno…, Agent, Manahawkin, NJ
Thu Aug 4, 2011
You have many choices in both north Jersey and central Jersey. Check out Monmouth County, parts of Union County and also Morris County...as well as the other mentioned. As for taxes, I can't speak to CT but NJ's are up there.

Laura Giannotta
Marsha Bowen…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Wed Aug 3, 2011
There are several towns in the Northern part of New Jersey that can give you a commute within your time frame in addition to a beautiful backyard and a pool. It really boils down to your desired price range, style and number of bedrooms and baths. I cover three counties which have many towns that fit your desired criteria.

If I can be of further assistance, feel free to contact me.

Best of luck to you and your family and welcome to the US.

Marsha B. Washington
Coldwell Banker - Livingston
Christine Tr…, Agent, Sparta, NJ
Wed Aug 3, 2011
Hi Alex!
I'd like to share with you a town called Sparta that spans 39 square miles in rural Sussex County. The township boasts 11 private lake communities and has a charming boardwalk and plaza that is on the state and national historic registers! Sparta is also very close to many state parks that offer hiking, biking, fishing and plenty more. Only 45 miles from NYC and there is a bus that leaves from downtown Sparta for commuters. If you have any questions about the area feel free to call or email.

Christine Herrmann

http://www.ChrissySellsNJ.com
Weichert Realtors
845-742-6647
cherrms@gmail.com
carolle dono…, Agent, morristown, NJ
Wed Aug 3, 2011
Hi Alex-
There are many towns in Morris county that I think you would find suitable.
Foe example- Boonton Twsp., Montville, Kinnelon, Denville,parts of Rockaway Twsp. to name a few.

Please email or call me me your price requirements etc. and I will be happy to send you listings to look at.

Good luck, Carolle Donofrio
cadonof@aol.com
973-960-8002 cell