Please advise - for first home is a condo/townhouse a good idea? My hubby and I are not handy.

Asked by RIta Perez, New York, NY Thu Jan 31, 2013

Answers

6
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Thu Jan 31, 2013
I think it's a great idea, for your first, middle, and last homes!
You are right Mack, if I had gone with the condo from the start I wouldn't be in the jam I am now trying to dig out of my house ;-)
Flag Thu Jan 31, 2013
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Warren, NJ
Thu Jan 31, 2013
With a condo/townhome you will be relieved of much of the exterior maintenance, but you will still have to be attentive to the interior space and your mechanicals - can't escape it all ;-). But it is surely less worry and upkeep than a single family home.

Agree with Debbie, make sure you have enough space whatever you buy so you do not feel pressured to sell too quickly.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Thu Jan 31, 2013
Sure, it's a fine idea.
Some people live out their lives very happily in a townhome, and have no interest in a single family home.
Some of the complexes near me are gated, with lavish clubhouses and offer numerous amenities.............. it's nice not to worry about lawn care, snow removal and exterior maitnenance.

I lived in a single family home for most of my life, and have enjoyed townhome living for the past 10+ years............there are plus and minuses for both........

Just make sure , if you do buy a condo........it's large enough, and has enough room, so that you don't feel the need to sell in the near future if your family grows or your needs change.........plan on staying at least 5-7 years

Best wishes....
Deochand Deo…, , Teaneck, NJ
Fri Feb 1, 2013
The condo/townhouse for you as a first time home buyer may be a great idea as you learn how to manage the upkeep of the physical infrastructure of your new home as well as finances. This housing option may suit you better than a home which needs repairs since you are not handy. After a few years in this starter home you should have sufficient confidence to buy a single/multifamily home. Always do your own research and buddy up with a Realtor. Check with your mortgage agent to ensure the condo purchase can be financed. Owning your home is truly exciting! Contact me at ddeodharrie@gmail.com if you need additional information.
, ,
Fri Feb 1, 2013
then that sounds like a great idea. condos can be difficult to finance, so I would love to help to help you every was I can

contact me any time
Maria FORSBE…, Agent, FORT LEE, NJ
Fri Feb 1, 2013
Condo/townhouse is a great option for people with busy life styles and for those less handy and they have no exterior upkeep, all associations have different rules but if something breaks inside you are still responsible for that.