Planning a relocation to denver in 2010. Have 3 young kids just entering elementary school. Would like a?

Asked by Mary Ahern, Chicago, IL Fri May 30, 2008

good public school/family friendly area without the cookie cutter suburban neighborhood. Large wooded lot w/view ideal in $700,000-$1.3MM range. What about Boulder/Parker areas? Would prefer a good demographic neighborhood mix (in other words would like to avoid being in an exclusive upper crusty community). Recommendations on when and where to beging the real search as there is still much detail to narrow down.

Answers

5
Sarah Solomon, Agent, Greenwood Village, CO
Wed Jun 4, 2008
Welcome Mary! Whew- if you come here to visit definitely take a tour with Kelly. She seems like she would be a blast to work with!

If she doesn't bring you to Parker- call me ;)

I live and thrive in Parker- it is our very own Mayberry as we like to say. A hint of high end and some other established homes as well. Are we track- yeah we've got that. Are we suburban...eh I wouldn't say so much as highlands ranch. We are more of a small town that got popular. There are children galore here- everyone has them and everyone has a dog, horse, mini goat or cow too :) We have a lot of acreage, horse training facilities, baseball diamonds, and restaurants and shopping. We also have an amazing fitness center and great hospital. Outdoor activities and Cherry Creek trail that leads down to Cherry Creek reservoirs. When you come go to Castlewood Canyon if you are a hiker- it is beautiful! We are building another reservoirs close by that will have yet another golf course. We are getting a Costco and Sprouts (Natural Grocery Store) from California. Access to 1-25 and C-470 are extremely convenient. Schools...some may argue this but we are number 2 in the state. Douglas Co. Cherry Creek is number one. Here in Parker our children do extremely well in sports- very competitive atmosphere. It is amazing how well these children do! I would try to do some research on our children's activities here if I were you- we have so many great amenities. We also have Kumon a Japanese style teaching as well. I have a few listing in your range that have ponderosa pines- you are more than welcome to visit my website to learn more information about Douglas Co.

I could bore you to tears talking on Trulia all day ;)

Look forward hearing about your success! Keep us updated!

Respectfully,
Sarah Solomon
Kelly Lynne, Agent, Denver, CO
Fri May 30, 2008
I agree - you should definitely come visit. From Boulder to Evergreen to Parker to Castle Rock - you need someone to tour you around our beautiful cities.

There are pros and cons to each and depending on your specific wants/needs and likes, you can discover which are will work best for you and your family.

I don't like being cold or trapped in snow, so Evergreen for me is not my cup of tea. Beautiful, yes but a hike to get there in it's twisty roads and it gets a bunch of snow. People who live there, love it. So if you like very outdoorsy, mountain-like - Evergreen may be your place!

I'd check out Genesee too. It is a little more accessible if you want to be closer to highways and such and is absolutely gorgeous.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Genesee-Colorado.html

Boulder is somewhat 'upper crusty' no matter where you go but people are very cool and down to earth. It's a wealthy granola area (gotta love Colorado!)

I would check out the areas. Come for a weekend. Grab a Realtor Who Cares (and a nice car! Ha!) and check out the cities. You probably won't find too many who will tote ya to each city but there are plenty of us out there who don't mind the drives.

You'll get a ton of responses on here so I'm sure you will be able to pick the good stuff and perhaps hone in on a bit more specifics.

Much luck to you. It's a fun (yet tedious) experience moving to a new state! I moved here from Michigan but luckily that was pre-children.

Do you have triplets?

Kelly Lynne
720.495.3838
Kelly@REDenver.org
Jody Wagner, , Conifer, CO
Fri May 30, 2008
Hi Mary,

I believe I have responded to you before, but I do strongly recommend you look into the Evergreen area. You can find views of the continental divide, Denver city lights, or just beautiful treed mountains. You would be able to get a large lot, and the community is wonderful for schools, has a community golf course and a couple nearby country club golf courses, multiple recreation centers, a lake that has paddle boats, ice skating and a lovely walking trail around it. Plus, Evergreen has a lot of history, open space and an old Main Street. It is a wonderful place to live and raise a family.

Boulder is a wonderful area as well, but it is a bit harder to find a larger lot as property values in that area are quite high. Parker has many lovely areas; however, they are often more "neighborhoody" than what you would find in the Evergreen area.

I think it is a good time to plan a vacation just to come and see various areas and explore by the "things to see and do" method. Then next year, I would start getting serious about investigating specific neighborhoods, locations, commutes, etc. so that you can use your time wisely searching over the next year as you prepare for your move.

If you would like some helpful information on the "Things to see and do" homefront, send me an e-mail with your address, and I can mail you a bunch of info.

I hope that helps!

Jody Wagner
Intero Real Estate Services
Office (303) 670-3232
Fax (303) 670-8166
Web Reference:  http://www.jodywagner.com
Jenny Lane, Agent, Superior, CO
Fri May 30, 2008
Hi Mary,

My first question for you would be what your work/recreation plans are? There are different areas in Denver/Boulder that would suit your needs (and could be found in your price range, depending on the size house you want) but depending on where you would work and what activities are important to you might change your ideas.

Generally speaking, newer homes would probably fit your description of "cookie cutter". Older, more established neighborhoods usually have larger lots and also more mature trees. I specialize in Boulder County and I know you can find what you are looking for here. There are other suburbs that might work for you (small pockets) and also in the city of Denver.

As far as school districts I can only speak of experience with Boulder Valley, and one site I like is Yahoo's:
http://realestate.yahoo.com/Colorado/Boulder/Schools/result.html. This will give you some great information on schools and districts.

You've got a lot of time to work with here so my advice would be to plan at least one trip, scout out neighborhoods, talk to the school principials and visit the schools yourself. The best way to know if you'll like a suburb or neighborhood is to spend some time there. Of course, research as much as you can online first. Feel free to use my Resources page on my website for more information.

My Best,

Jenny Lane
Ben Edgson, , Indiana
Fri May 30, 2008
Hi Mary,

Boulder and Parker are great options, and you may also want to consider Ken Caryl Ranch -- it's up in the foothills and just beautiful.

Ben Edgson
Mortgage Broker
720.280.0441
ben@bythebrookemortgage.com