Rebecca, Home Buyer in 78374

Our we asking too much from our realator?

Asked by Rebecca, 78374 Sat Jan 24, 2009

Its Wed. X-mas eve morning - your buyer puts in an offer ask for a response by Monday 6 days later -you get a call from the seller's agent with a counter offer - when do you let your buyer know? Buyer still has not heard from their agent Monday late afternoon so buyer calls and is told late x-mas eve they got the counter but that real estate agents are entitled to a Holiday time too - is this common attitude or our we asking too much?

Answers

11
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Sat Jan 24, 2009
Hi Rebeca:

Buying and selling homes are possibly one of the biggest investments and one of the most emotional transactions a person can have in his / her life. I take those responsibilities seriously and pretty much work 24 x 7 (o.k. I do sleep).

We do take vacations but unless my clients are in places where there is no fax, no computer, no scanner (which is really quite rare), we get business done. I work with international clients, even with huge time difference, we find a way to communicate and get things done (I did have one problem where my client is in some very unstable country, and it was an extremely difficult case, but we even got that done, a bit late, but we communicated with the buyers)

So, even in difficult cases, we will let the buyers know that the sellers are out on Himalayas (o.k. you get my drift) and could not be reached for 10 days, so you will at least know when to expect and the reason why.

If I go on vacation and can't be reached, I will have a trusted backup who can handle the business for me and my clients.

It's amazing how many deals are done during holidays and vacations.....

No, you are NOT asking too much from your Realtor, not by my standard!

Sylvia Barry
Marin Realtor
Karen Shrock…, Agent, Dallas, TX
Sun Jan 25, 2009
Your hypothesis does not make sense to me. The timeframe doesn't make sense as you refer to two distinct and separate events happening on Christmas Eve. There's also some information missing here.

I don't think that it is unreasonable expect to wait a day or so for a response when it's a major family holiday or event although I would make sure that my client had the offer or counteroffer in hand. I would think that the resistance is coming from one of the principals rather than from the agent. Sellers can get grumpy about all the time out of their lives that's devoted to keeping a house showing ready and getting unexpected calls at inconvenient times for showing even if they want to sell the house desperately. Buyers can be very impatient waiting for their dream house to be under contract. It's not always the realtor's fault.

When we were buying the house we live in, we were under a time crunch and needed a decision. We submitted our offer and waited. As it turned out, the seller had put the house on the market not expecting it to move so quickly. She took off with her boyfriend on a weeklong vacation to Hawaii without leaving any contact information. Both the realtors were going nuts trying to move things along, but she wasn't cooperating. After that hurdle was cleared, we learned that she was a fairly recent widow and that the house was inherited jointly with two stepsons who had to be located to sign off on the sale. Because of the crunch we were under and the delay in moving towards closing, we were able to negotiate a one week lease with them. We were moving from across country with pets and children and needed to be settled. When we did get to closing, the seller still had not clear the home of her belongings including a very lovely business wardrobe. We ended up packing up the remainder of her stuff for her while her agent tried to nail her down to a day and time when she would be picking up her things.

We were impatient. We needed to move and we needed to have firm dates. We had learned in the process that she was a widow and she had an old fashioned first name, so we figured she was older. As it turned out she was a young widow whose husband had died young after a battle with cancer. She was trying to move on with her life, but apparently she wasn't doing so well with dealing with the matter of selling the house. She hadn't been living there, but she seems to have tried to avoid as much as possible having to deal with the issue.

It's not always the realtor.
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Sat Jan 24, 2009
Good question. That's not the way I work personally, but I understand the situation. It really depends on the agent and how they are set up and how the other side communicated as well. I can understand if it is a small office and no one was there for days, it can happen. Maybe the buyers agent did not call, only faxed the offer.
1. Set up your expectations with your Realtor.
2. Demand a backup system.
3. Verify it works.
Sorry you had this problem. You'll probably never believe me, but in my experience if you lost this house, there's always a better one to be found. Perhaps better quality or lower price. It's happened to my buyers every single time they have ever lost a house for any reason.
Web Reference:  http://www.teamlynn.com
Daniel, , Baton Rouge, LA
Sat Jan 24, 2009
you know. there is a time and a place

Take a deep breath! the world will not end
Brittany Sim…, , Columbus, OH
Sat Jan 24, 2009
I am not in your market, however I had to read the post when I saw your question. I would never leave an offer open for 6 days. That is way too long for a counter offer to be open. That leaves plenty of time for alot of things to happen (other contracts, change of heart, whatever) I don't think you are being harsh at all. Lay out your expectations in the beginning and then there will not be a conflict. If you want to know things as soon as they are learned, tell him/her. I personally cannot wait and usually call ASAP (holidays or not) I even answered my phone on my wedding day :)

I think 1-2 days to get back with a response is reasonable unless there are unusual circumstances such as someone being out of town, etc.
Margaret T.…, Agent, Conroe, TX
Sat Jan 24, 2009
Rebecca,
A counter is a new contract so it falls under the assumed 72 hour for presentation. Federal Holidays do not count..
Now i do not go by that I work 24/7/365 but some Realtors keep bankers hours. The above is all I would allow them.
I certainly would like toknow before 72 hours.

Margaret
J R, , New York, NY
Sat Jan 24, 2009
I was negotiating till 8 new year's eve, and last year I relayed an offer Christmas eve. Although not all agents will call at night or even answer their phones at night, this Christmas eve, which was Wed, till Monday is just too long. Your post is very confusing, though. Who are you? (The seller or the buyer?) I think you're the seller, but I'm wondering how you know that the buyer had not heard from their agent?
Jackie Rankin, Agent, Fort Worth, TX
Sat Jan 24, 2009
Every Realtor is different, but I personally am available holidays. If I receive an offer for my client, my client is going to know about it the same day. If it's a holiday that I happen to receive it on, my first words are going to be, " I am so sorry to interrupt your holiday, but the news I have for you, I am hoping will make it that much better!" I've never had a client yet that was upset with that type of news. So in answer to your question, it sounds like your Realtor doesn't work holidays. Doesn't make them a bad person or a bad Realtor, it just makes their business practice different than what it sounds like you want.
Dana Schuster, Agent, Slidell, LA
Sat Jan 24, 2009
I was at the office until 6:00 on New Years Eve trying to get a contract acceptance faxed,but maybe that's just me.
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Sat Jan 24, 2009
It depends on agents practice during holidays all agents place a disclaimer regarding a delayed response from any party - listing agent, seller, buyer, or buyers agent. If our office is closed rare exception we will include our "black times" where emails or phones calls wont be returned we notify an all parties by 100's of methods we use.

All parties usually take that time inconsideration. Majority of real estate offices are closed .

Our office has a high tech system no matter what I maybe in world I still receive all e & voice mails, contracts, faxes, and etc. manage close too 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
Web Reference:  http://www.lynn911.com
Ken Lampton, Agent, Dallas, TX
Sat Jan 24, 2009
As an agent myself, I've always found it is a bit more difficult to do business at the major holidays like Christmas and Fourth of July. But I can't count the number of times I've been on the phone with clients, both buyers and sellers, while I am way across the country from my home in Dallas. And I can't count the number of times my wife has demanded that I get off the laptop computer and quit checking my email while we are in a hotel on holiday.

It seems to me the matter you describe demands that contact should be made within less than 24 hours. Holiday be damned!