Our bathrooms are smaller than the average bathroom (square footage wise) yet we have been quoted $15,000 or more for each. Help!

Asked by Moi, Bucks County, PA Thu Apr 11, 2013

Answers

3
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Thu Apr 11, 2013
Search around. Ask a few Realtors for their suggestions.

True story: My wife and I are doing extensive renovations on a rental property we own. It's a 3 bed/2 bath rambler built around 1950. We got bids of $45,000, $50,000, $60,000, and $130,000. (Yup, you read that right.)

We went with the $45,000 bid for a number of reasons, not just price. The house has two bathrooms: The original one from 1950s and one that was very poorly installed on the lower level probably around 1970.

We're having both completely redone. With the upstairs original bathroom, we ripped it down to the studs, but are putting everything back in the same places. With the downstairs bath, we totally ripped that out and are moving all sorts of things around. Both are very nice higher-end renovations.

The upstairs bath will cost around $8,000. The downstairs bath will cost around $10,000. If we'd wanted to economize, we could have save about $1,500 on each.

So: Ask a few Realtors for their recommendations. That's how we found our contractor.

Renee Porsia, Agent, Newtown, PA
Thu Apr 11, 2013

If you would like to share where you are located via email, I may be able to provide a name or two of very good contractors.

You do need to make sure that whoever you use has insurance because I have heard horror stories! You should also make sure to get everything in writing so there is no room for misunderstandings.

Let me know if I can be of some help to you. My email is reneeporsia@mac.com

Renèe Porsia
Associate Broker
Prudential Fox & Roach
215-669-0589 Direct
610-527-0900
http://www.reneeporsia.com
Jim Olive, Agent, Key West, FL
Thu Apr 11, 2013
These are times when you wish you were more handy yourself! I did my own bathroom at my vacation home and it was cheap! But I must say I was grateful when it was destroyed by nature and the insurance paid for a professional to do the job over!! $15k does sound high for a small redo, but that all depends on where you are...best of luck...