Other than a termite inspection, what other inspections does FHA require for the purchase of a single family home?

Asked by Jph, 11385 Sun Dec 20, 2009

Answers

4
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Sun Dec 20, 2009

Without a doubt, I encourage all buyers to hire a private inspector to do a home inspection as part of their due diligence in the purchase process. FHA does not require that you do this.

FHA will require that an approved FHA appraiser visit the property to do the appraisal. Part of that appraiser’s job is to do a brief inspection. This does not, in any way, substitute for the private inspection. The appraiser is hired by FHA to perform an inspection to protect the lender. This inspection and appraisal generally takes less than 30 minutes. Some FHA appraisers have no building, contracting, or inspection background other than the brief training they receive through FHA. I have fought a few battles with FHA when I believed their appraiser lacked competency. Other FHA appraisers/inspectors are well trained.

If a property needs repairs that will be under 35K, consider a 203K streamlined loan. This provides for the cost of the repairs, and the appraisal is performed based upon the value after the repairs. Speak to a Realtor experienced with FHA, and particularly 203K loans to help you navigate the waters.

Deborah Madey - Broker
Peninsula Realty Group
732 530 7755 Main
732 530 6350 Direct
Patrick Thies, Agent, Anytown, IL
Sun Dec 20, 2009
Check with your lender to see if FHA is going to require anything be done. Keep in mind, some FHA required fees are not allowed to be paid by the buyer and must be paid by the seller.
Richard Leci…, , Tucson, AZ
Sun Dec 20, 2009
You shold have a home inspection done so you are protected. I am sure a good inspector will find something wrong that should be fixed prior to your purchase.
April Crowder, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Sun Dec 20, 2009
FHA does not require any inspections however if the appraiser makes notes on the appraisal, then certain repairs may have to be done. Last month, the FHA appraiser noted that there was peeling paint on a metal garage so my seller had to paint the garage door. If you are looking at buying a foreclosure, then you should consult your lender to find out what items would show up on the appraisal. The foreclosure bank will not make repairs and you could waste time and money on a home inspection and then have FHA deny financing.