On a fixed income, how old of a house can I look at and not worry too much about repairs/maintenance?

Asked by Leffertcar, Bradenton, FL Wed Mar 27, 2013

I've been looking at 1996 and newer because of insurance issues for houses and 2011 and newer for manufactured homes because I am concerned about hurricane safety.

Answers

1
, ,
Wed Mar 27, 2013
Any home is going to require general maintenance. As far as repairs go, you have 2 kinds - those that are sudden and accidental and those due to wear and tear.

You can't really do anything about the sudden and accidental stuff, other than carry the proper insurance. Wear and tear is a different story. It has to do with the age of the home, but also the quality of construction. Newer isn't always better because some older homes were built much better than some of the newer ones.

The best advice I can give you is to have a private inspection conducted before you buy the home and address useful life and quality of construction with the inspector.