Older Victorian style home vs. Newer Cape/Split Level Home?

Asked by Trina Baines, Fri Apr 4, 2008

I was wondering what would be more desirable and hence have a higher resale potential in the Boston area? I think that the older Victorian homes are just adorable and charming, but that may be because I'm in California and it's a such a rarity to find one out here. Are people in the Boston area more likely to buy a newer home because it would theoretically yield less headaches with maintenance, etc?

Answers

3
Nilton Lisboa, Agent, Marlborough, MA
Tue Apr 8, 2008
You should purchase a home that you will like regardless of what other people think. If you prefer older victorians...you should buy it. You are going to be living there right? If you are planning on only living there a couple of years, I would say that the resale value would be better for the new cape/split level home because its more "contemporary" and desirable right now. Either way you can't go wrong with today's buyers market...good luck and Happy Shopping!!
Web Reference:  http://www.soldre.com
L, Home Buyer, Boston, MA
Fri Apr 4, 2008
Victorian home offers nice woodwork details, high ceilings, which can be appreciated by everyone, however, they are not that practical for today's families- smaller rooms, definitely smaller kitchens, cramped overall, dangerous stairways (remember, high ceilings?). It is not suitable for families with small children, teenagers, older people, large families, people, who prefer American large scale furniture, etc... Most of the families now prefer open concept houses, less formal (no separate dining room), easy for entertaining, with huge refrigerators (where would you put your huge fridge in Victorian? You have to start remodeling and opening space up...
It is suitable for younger empty-nester's, singles, younger gay couples, artsy type, people who love smaller, antique or vintage furniture (not all of it that comfortable), etc
So, it depends, where you are in your life, buy the house accordingly...
Ed Hughes, M…, Agent, Ashland, OR
Fri Apr 4, 2008
Trina, Victorian homes are great and there is a specific type of person who buys them vs. a newer home. I have worked with buyers to buy Victorians and Sellers to sell them. There are 2 approaches. 1) buy one that has been totally renovated yet kept the charm and details, these homes sell very quickly. 2) buy one that is in disrepair and fix it up yourself. Ed