Offer accepted on a short sale 2 1/2 months ago by seller. Can we ask for another showing?

Asked by Joe, 60634 Mon Jul 30, 2012

We put an offer on a short sale 2 1/2 months ago. The negotiator has been assigned and the BPO has been performed, the seller's agent believes we're getting close to getting an answer from the bank. Problem is that my wife and I can't remember certain features of the house since it's been so long and would like to view it again. Is it fine to ask for another showing of the property or am I being impatient and bugging the homeowners too much?

Answers

16
Edith Karoli…, Agent, Winnetka, IL
Mon Jul 30, 2012
Yes yes yes, of course you can ask, ask the listing agent and he or she should be able to arrange it
with the sellers, It makes sense for you to want to see the property, to take measurements to order
furniture or anything else, the sellers should understand and the listing agent should be able to
get you in at some point..... Just call the Seller's Agent, it really should not be any problem... Just explain to her what you want to measure and why you would like to see it...

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties, 30 Green Bay Rd, Winnetka, Illinois 60093 ---- EdithDoesItRight@yahoo.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com Check out my website at htttp://www.tinyurl.com/MeetEdithHere
get to know me better and learn about my experience, expertise, services available and letters of recommendation of former clients..... Also you can sign up on my site to search for properties in my expanded service area. HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
Brendan Ross, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue Dec 31, 2013
You are always entitled to ask for what you want through your Realtor. He or she will give you his professional opinion as to the appropriateness of your request, but ultimately, you are the buyer, and you can ask for whatever you would like.

In this case, the seller should absolutely allow you in for a second showing. After such a passage of time, it's a natural request.
Larry Cirnig…, Agent, FOUNTAIN VALLEY, CA
Sat Dec 28, 2013
As a buyer with an accepted offer with the seller you should be permitted to visit the property repeatedly until you close escrow. Having said that, you will want to coordinate all visits/showings with the Listing Agent and have a specific purpose to avoid burdening the seller with a frivolous request.
Riccardo War…, Agent, Bolingbrook, IL
Tue Mar 5, 2013
Sure! Great idea to see the home again.
Mike Opyd, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue Mar 5, 2013
Definitely! Not a bad idea especially if the home is vacant.
Randy Schule…, Agent, Saint Charles, IL
Sat Aug 4, 2012
Joe,

Absolutely! Sounds like you're getting very close to an answer from the Bank. Congratulations!
Evelyn S. Fr…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue Jul 31, 2012
Hi Joe,

You are well within your rights to request another showing, this is not uncommon.

Ask your agent/broker to set it up.

Bill J Delig…, Agent, Naperville, IL
Mon Jul 30, 2012
Go take a look and refresh your memory. They might counteroffer you. Be prepared to provide then with your laundry list of what's wrong with the place and as to why they need to accept your offer.
Grisell Perez, Agent, Arlington Heights, IL
Mon Jul 30, 2012
Hello there Joe,

I agree with my colleague Ron from CA, do not become emotionally attached until you hear a "yay' or "nay" from the seller's lender, yes they performed a BPO however they might want to perform several more just to make sure their due diligence is done. They'll want to make sure the offer is at fair market value for the area, the seller's bank might even counter your offer if they feel the offer is low. Hey, the bank might reassign it to another negotiator, this has happens to make with several BPOs done (more than 3) it took one of my short sales 5-6 months to close. Wait for a definite answer, then ask your agent to request another showing. Good luck to you and your wife Joe!
Ivan Sagel, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Jul 30, 2012
Joe,

Have another look. Refresh your memory.

Good Luck,
Ivan Sagel
312-515-7823
Philip Sencer, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Jul 30, 2012
Of course you can ask for another look, but read the contract to see if/when yiou have the right to get out of the deal if you want. I hope you have been still looking at property because there is no guarrantee that the bank will agree to the contract.
Suzanne Hami…, Agent, Orland Park, IL
Mon Jul 30, 2012
Absolutely. You have as much a stake in this as they do now. Go and see the house. Just be mindful and respectful of time. Ask at least 24 hrs in advance.
Joe Schiller, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Jul 30, 2012
you can do anything you want and the agents have to work it out not people on trulia..it makes no difference what we say.. the seller must want to sell so I would think they would let you in
Sohail Salah…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Jul 30, 2012
Joe,

Yes, you definitely can ask for another showing. Your agent can get you back in with no problem.

Sohail A. Salahuddin | Broker Associate | Visionary

Innovative Property Consultants Team | Sales and Leasing

Jameson Sotheby’s International Realty

425 W. North Ave. | Chicago, IL 60610 

O: 312.335.3230 | C: 312.437.7799 | F: 847.805.6030

http://www.innovativepropertyconsultants.com

"Locally Known, Globally Recognized"
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Mon Jul 30, 2012
Please do not fall in love with something you cannot have:
The odds, even at this point, are 50/50 and I would recommend waiting until you have an acceptance from the Bank.
It is not healthy for you or the Homeowner.
Go on about your life and try not to think about it; this is the nature of Shortsales.
Matt Laricy, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Jul 30, 2012
No not at all. Have your agent call them up and get you in there.