Obligations of the Title Co. regarding inaccurate tax pro-ration?

Asked by Paul, Grand Rapids, MI Tue Aug 7, 2012

I purchased a condo last year from the estate of a deceased individual. Because the condo had been empty for several months the homestead credit expired May 1 of last year. I purchased it on June 17th. The title company didn't catch this and based the proration on the prior year's taxes. The "Tax Pro-Ration Worksheet" basically holds them harmles, i.e. "Buyers and Sellers agree that this tax pro-ration is final and further agree to hold the title company harmless for any tax increases..." At the same time it states that the pro-ration was based on the most recent available tax rate... which wasn't true in that if they would have called the township they would have told them the credit expired. I am getting no justice from the Title Co: it is about an $800 issue. Do I have any leagl recourse or is their language in the pro-ration document air tight? Thanks