Novato lies in the flood zone, does anyone have any experience in Novato's wet winters? I'm concerened when I see dainage pipes scattered all over the

Asked by name withheld, Petaluma, CA Fri Jul 13, 2012

back yards, is this a huge issue, woth ruling Novato out because of it?

Answers

6
name withheld’s answer
name withheld, Home Buyer, Petaluma, CA
Sun Jul 22, 2012
thanks Jer,

Your answer was most helpful, the site I was refrencing was from marinwatersheds.org, which shows Novato as being in a special zone. Good news about your living here and loving it, hoping my family will too. Drainage pipes to keep water from collectimg under the house make sense, and maybe what I was seeing was these pipes before they were burried(?). I have been looking at houses all over Marin county, I have to say the strangest thing we saw was in San Rafael, where the homeowner put a pipe 50 feet into their backyard I assume to see the water table rising, too bad for all those homes and homeowners who have bought on fill and bay mud. With sea level rise, I would encourage anyone looking to buy to really look at the location, there are great sea level rise maps that show you what the bay area will look like with anywhere from 1meter rise to 50, it is very interesting, and worth researching. I believe its niave and extremely unprofessional for brokers and listing agents to not be completey forthcoming about these sorts of issues, for exaple, "special conditions" like flood zones etc, can be "unknown" to the listing agent and broker until you get the full disclosures, which can be very far into the process. I think its better to have full disclosure from the get go and for home buyers beware of sweet talking agents who insist they are "unaware" of any possible issues such as this.
Lloyd Pittman, Agent, Novato, CA
Fri Aug 15, 2014
FEMA recently updated their flood maps. I lived in Novato in the early 80's when there was significant issues in localized areas. Much work was done and virtually all of Novato has been flood free to homes. That said FEMA does not update as often and you still might need flood insurance in certain areas.
nkbpaul, Home Owner, Novato, CA
Thu Jul 31, 2014
FEMA expanded the flood zones so they could collect more money. It is a sneaky backdoor tax by Obama. Essentially, another big fat lie. We have a home on tidal waters in Bahia. The ocean doesn't flood!!! If "global warming" raises the ocean up the 7 feet it would take to reach floor level, kiss everyone's ass good bye and all the money in the world wouldn't fix the disaster. Not going to happen so it's a scam. Thankfully, we don't have a mortgage so I'm not paying into the Obama fund on this one.
Jer, Home Owner, Novato, CA
Sat Jul 21, 2012
Gee, we have lived in Novato for the last 36 years and the only real flooding I can recall was at the edge of downtown ( a strip about 8-10 blocks)on the south side when Novato Creek overflowed in the 1980's. But since then the city set up a flood control project that redid the creek bed and rocked a lot of the banks and now they clean out the mouth of the creek by Novato Blvd, the 101 Bridges area every 3 - 4 years. Nobody, but no body talks about flooding around here since then that I know of. In fact, I think the bonds for that have been paid off as well.

Not sure where or why you saw drainage pipes, but the backyards that have them in my neighborhood (including behind our house) is to keep the rain water from collecting under the house.

But to really find out about flooding talk to some of the senior Real Estate Agents in town or go visit the City's Community Development Dept. at 75 Rowland Way ground floor. My wife and her family has been here since 1963 and she and I and our grown kids (who are also home-owners) love this town. Its a nice place to live and work.
Liz Williams…, Agent, Sausalito, CA
Fri Jul 13, 2012
To piggy back a bit on Sylvia, FEMA re-did the flood maps all over the United States around 3 years ago which may be why you are seeing Novato as a flood zone, though I am not sure where you pulled your information from. the new flood zones really have nothing to do with whether the area had flooded or not. What it pertains to are elevation levels and other criterias FEMA deemed as a 100 year, 300 or 500 year flood zones.
If you are buying a home anywhere, Novato or wherever, it will be disclosed to you if a home is in a flood zone and that you will need flood insurance. The good news is FEMA has extended their flood insurance program which is currently only $350.00 a year. There are exceptions to this of course, for instance whether the area had indeed flooded or if there had been a recent flood insurance claim on that particular home. But overall, Sylvia is correct -you really don't have much to worry about in Novato.
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Fri Jul 13, 2012
Hi Genevieve:

No, Novato is not a huge flood zone and covered with drain pipes. It all depends on where the property is. We did have a big flood back in the 80's (I wasn't here), but supposedly, it flooded half of the Novato. My understanding is Novato has since fixed that big sewer drainage problem down close to Rowland and Redwood. I do steer my clients away from certain areas due to different reasons, flood could be one of those.

Some areas have problems with flooding, most of the other parts of Novato will be no concern.

Sylvia
Flag Thu Jul 31, 2014