Not sure if we should put in an offer?

Asked by Mmb.79, 02119 Fri Oct 16, 2009

My husband and I fell in love with a house, and were set to put in an offer on it. When we went to do so, we were told by the selling agent that the city of Boston had put in a cash bid and that was going to be accepted. It's been almost two weeks now and the house is still listed as active on the MLS - should we push the issue with our agent? Is it worth it to put in an offer?

Answers

8
Maha Hanania, Agent, Medford, MA
Sat Oct 17, 2009
Yes, I think you should put an offer on the house that you and your husband fell in love with, because it is still listed as an Active. But in the same time you need to check the Zoning in this area and work with your agent about getting more detailed information about the whole situation?
Maha
Tim Bottomley, , Boston, MA
Fri Oct 16, 2009
Absolutely consult with your Agent! If its a home that you and your husband fell in love with you need to follow up to find out where the property stands. If the city of Boston has bought the home you need to move on! I am a buyers agent. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to me. I would be happy to look into the property or help you find a new one.

Look forward to hearing from you.

I do hope it works out for you and your husband

Tim

-- Tim Bottomley
CondoDomain
319 A Street Front
3rd Floor
Boston, MA 02210
877.852.6636 · 603.380.2057 cell · Fax 617.507.8447
tim@CondoDomain.com

Tim Bottomley
Web Reference:  http://www.condodomain.com
Mmb.79, Home Owner, 02119
Fri Oct 16, 2009
Thanks for the help! We do have a buyer's agent, and she's the one that told us that the city was putting in the offer and she made it seem like it was a done deal. It is still listed as straight Active on the MLS, and I'm not 100% sure why the city wants it, since it's a semi-detached single family, and the other side is occupied and not in foreclosure or anything.

How would I go about finding out why the city wants the property? The listing agent is one that I think people have had issues getting in contact with, and I think he really can't be bothered to do much with the listing since it's for so little money (less than 120k).
Alan Donald, Agent, Mount Pleasant, SC
Fri Oct 16, 2009
1. Agree with TerritoryRE - get yourself a competent Buyer's Agent. If you don't know any, I can recommend you one...
2. Find out why the city wants this property. If they need the space for road widening, etc. and someone else buys it, they may elect to exercise "eminent domain" rights and force a sale anyway at the appraised value.
3. If the property is still "Active" on the MLS, feel free to write an offer. If it's "Active Contingent" then all you can hope for is a backup offer, in case the first one doesn't work.
Alan Donald
http://www.BuyHomesInCharleston.com
Charleston-Mt. Pleasant, SC
Theresa Brown, Agent, Sarasota, FL
Fri Oct 16, 2009
I would definitely put in an offer if this is a house you love. However, I would also have my agent research why the City is interested in the property. What is the zoning and its uses? You may find that its zoning may not make it an ideal homestead or the opposite could be true. Don't go into this uninformed. Good luck!
Territory.c…, Agent, MA,
Fri Oct 16, 2009
And I agree you should submit an offer regardless. It won't hurt to get your offer in the mix.
Territory.c…, Agent, MA,
Fri Oct 16, 2009
I think you should get yourself separate representation so you can be 100% certain your interests are being protected. When you work with the same agent who works for the seller you need to know that agents legal interests are with the seller not the buyer.
Team Real Es…, Agent, STATEN ISLAND, NY
Fri Oct 16, 2009
I would put in an offer anyway. Not all transaction actually come to a closing of escrow. Have your agent present an offer, it may be a back up offer but this way you still have the opportunity to purchase the home.

On Your Team
irena popilevsky