No door from house to garage, is it bad for resale value?

Asked by Manuela792, 55346 Wed Jul 7, 2010

We liked a house in Eden Prairie, house looks great and it's in our price range. The only problem is that there is no door from house to garage. Is that bad for resale value? We are new in Minnesota and we left bay area, Ca recently. Could you advice please?

Answers

7
Doc & Ellen Stephens’ answer
Doc & Ellen…, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Wed Jul 7, 2010
Hi, Manuela,

An Inspector would tell you that the lack of a fire-rated door (with an automatic closer) between the house and garage is a definite fire hazard. If something catches fire in the garage, there is nothing to retard its spread and give you warning time to get out. Further, the fumes from lawn equipment and vehicles stored in the garage could be a nuisance if not a hazard.

I would ask a local contractor for a quote on installing a door, and then calculate that cost into your offer.

Doc
Web Reference:  http://TellEllen.com
Susan Hoffla…, Agent, Shoreview, MN
Thu Jul 8, 2010
Maybe I'm not understanding this question correctly. I see feedback from other agents here suggesting it is MORE of a fire hazard NOT to have the door than it would be if there was a door. From what I've heard in inspections the less the barrier between the house and garage is compromised, the better it is from a fire safety standpoint and the thought about the fumes and CO from the lawn mower and such. If you create an opening between the house and garage, in my mind, would allow more opportunity for a fire or fumes to encroach in to the home. If, for no other reason, than you'd be opening the door and allowing exchange of air between the house and the garage. Please tell me what I'm missing here, agents.

From a market standpoint, it is always better in MN to be able to go from the garage to the house and vice versa in the winter. But, I wouldn't say it's a huge deterrent for resale. It would be more of a minor thing than a major thing. If you want to create a door, do as one of my colleagues suggests here and have a bid done on the door during your inspection period.
Web Reference:  http://www.homestosellmn.com
Alicia Garat…, Agent, Minneapolis, MN
Wed Jul 7, 2010
I'm not an inspector but I know that in some cities that it would be a code issue - please check with your city. The main issue would be carbon monoxide leakage into the home. In some cities in MN, it is even required to have an auto door close mechanism to prevent the door from being left open. I agree that if you like the home enough and the cost of a door is not prohibitive, you and the seller could probably negotiate that issue as a condition in the purchase agreement
Brad Anderson, Agent, Maple Grove, MN
Wed Jul 7, 2010
The house is somewhat less desirable without the door. It may effect resale value.
CCC, Home Owner, San Diego, CA
Wed Jul 7, 2010
How many homes have you seen with that feature?
It will always be better to have direct acces to the garage, due to the snow.

It is common on your price range?

It is like looking a 1 car garage home in a 3 car garage neigborhood.
Jane Grant, Agent, Aguanga, CA
Wed Jul 7, 2010
It really depends on what else is out there in your price range. If you like everything else about the home then you can probably live with the fact that it does not have a door going from the house to the garage. How does it compare with other homes, "In your price range". As far as resale value it all will depend on what is available in the future when you are trying to sell.
Web Reference:  http://www.soreal.biz
Joan Braunsc…, , Morris County, NJ
Wed Jul 7, 2010
Manuela, I am not from Minnesota but I do know it gets very cold.

So I am going to make a guess here and say that yes, it could hurt resale value. How much, I have no idea.

I think you have to look a number of things, such as how long are you planning on staying, do the other houses in the neighborhood have the same issue, and will it be an issue for you when you have to go out in the elements during various times of the year.

That's probably all the advice this non-Minnesotian can tell you.