New to SD & want to invest up to $200k in a rental apt. Where are the best rental areas? SDSU, UCSD, PB??

Asked by Jennifer Lang, Vancouver, WA Thu May 17, 2012

Answers

8
Derek Rotzin…, , San Diego, CA
Fri May 18, 2012
College areas may attract younger tenants with high turn over and limited upkeep. Don't exclude areas like Uptown or North County. There are great deals right now in many areas of San Diego for under $200k. Let me know if you would like some help!

Derek
858 344 5731
Cory La Scala, Agent, San Diego, CA
Fri May 18, 2012
Hi Jennifer,

You can buy a condo in lots of areas. Just keep an eye on the HOA fee, you'll want to strive for cash flow. East County has really good rental areas, SDSU and UCSD too, but you're definitely not restricted to those areas unless you want to be around a university or medical center. Universities are great for ongoing rental demand, and medical centers will have lots of young professionals looking for rentals. Most kids have cars, but we also have a trolley system, so being near a station could be a bonus for students. There are plans for a trolley station at one of several UCSD locations, but completion won't be for several years.

I can send you listings of properties around SDSU or UCSD or other areas if you'd like, to give you an idea of what's available in your price range. I can also work out your likely monthly payments with current market rents on the listings you like, so you'll know if it cash flows or not. It will help you hone in on an area to buy.

Warm Regards,

Cory La Scala, REALTOR
Independence Realty
619-825-6421
Cindy Davis, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu May 17, 2012
For your price range, you are limitied to SDSU and UCSD. You will get a one bedroom in UTC and can probably get a two bedroom in the College Area.

Please let me know how I can help you further!
Patrick Nguy…, , San Diego, CA
Thu May 17, 2012
They are all good areas, personally I like the UCSD area better due to lots of professionals working around there in bankings, financials, retails, large corporations, plus UCSD (students) university and UCSD Medical Center.
Very busy area, good in all aspects re rentals and retails.

Good luck to your Real Estate investment.

Broadpoint Properties
PATRICK NGUYEN, REALTOR®
DRE # 01069991
Cell Phone: 858-357-1812
Jerry Heard, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu May 17, 2012
Jennifer,
Colleges and Universities offer a great source of tenants. So any Condominium close to one of the 3 major universities would be a good purchase. However I would not limit myself strictly to the university market.
The beach areas also are in high demand and can overlap the tenant based associated with the universities. There are other areas that also have a good demand for rentals if they are centrally located with easy freeway access.
I would recommend a 2 bedroom condo, it offers more flexibility for small families than a one bedroom units does.
You can use the search feature on my website to explore on your own or I can set up a custom search for you that will keep you updated as new properties come on the market that meet your specific needs.

I am never too busy for your referrals

Jerry Heard
Your Broker
The San Diego Property Shop
http://www.TheSanDiegoPropertyShop.com
jerry.sdps@cox.net
Direct 619-920-9796
Office 619-269-5545
Fax 619-269-9168
CA DRE # 00648687
Jonathan and…, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu May 17, 2012
Hi Jen,

Now is a great time to buy a rental property and get a great return on your investment. There are many different factors to consider when buying a rental property. Such as local amenities, local school systems, etc.

I'd be happy to meet with you to discuss your various options. Please feel free to give me a call or visit my website to set up an appointment.

Theresa Mack
858-230-4850
http://www.mackrealestate.com
Sinead McAll…, Agent, Oceanside, CA
Thu May 17, 2012
Hi Jennifer,
Picking a condo near a college is always a good idea for stable demand. For SDSU, you could also look at La Mesa. I also recommend North Park and there are some great deals downtown as well (check out Smart Corner for the under $200K range).

It's always best to have a real estate agent show you around and help you out. Feel free to contact me directly to assist you. I would love the opportunity to show you around America's Finest City!

Thanks!
Sinead McAllister
Broker
McAllister Homes Real Estate
858-205-5215
brokermcallister@gmail.com
Alexander Pf…, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu May 17, 2012
Hi Jennifer:

You have named some great areas already. OB, North Park, and UTC are a few other areas you might want to consider.

I'd be happy to assist you. Many are buying rental properties now with 6% plus returns which is much better than having your money in savings etc.

Feel free to utilize my website Sandiegobuyersmarket.com

Cordiall,

Alexander Pfleger
Direct Capital & RE Investments
858-483-4687
01043581