Home Buying in Hingham>Question Details

Ella, Home Buyer in Hingham, MA

New job in hingham with flexibility to move now or wait till spring '12. Thoughts? More houses available then? Thnx for any insights!

Asked by Ella, Hingham, MA Wed Sep 28, 2011

Good school district critical; 10 mile radius from hingham; Looking forward to the beautiful new england town experience! thanks.

Live and work in Hingham many years, let me know if you are still looking. We have some wonderful neighborhoods and homes for you to explore.

Dee Lynch 781 385 9081 c
William Raveis RE

The best time to buy is when you find the house you want at a price you feel is fair based upon your knowledge of the market (with some help from your buyer agent)

If you don't care about the criteria above - the best time to buy is between Oct 30 - December 31 least homes on the market, typically homes that have been sitting, more opportunity for a better price

Here is the typical real estate time line - Preceived spring market March April May Actual spring market and best time to put a home on the market Jan 2, least homes on the market, largest demand, buyers are done with the holiday's want to buy a home, close before summer and be ready for school in Sept.

Feb, March,. April more homes come on, if they are pristine or well priced they sell, if not May, June price reductions,

July August the summer and a slow market, more price reductions Sept (use to be a time for RELO's but not as much now) get the kids in school and sports, Oct Halloween - Nov Thanksgiving - Dec Christimas

Then Jan 2 Spring market
Definitely wait until spring. You could probably start looking now as the inventory will start to increase of the next month given how mild the weather has been this winter.

Here is every property on the market in Hingham:
Web Reference: http://territory.com
Ella-have you found a home in Hingham yet? If not, please give me a call at 1-781-690-2926.
Hi, Ella!
Typically the best time to buy is Sept through end of November and then again in the spring (April -June). Often we will find a surge in the market in February around bonus time but since the economy has been unpredictable that's been less of a guarantee. The long and the short of it is you should definitely look now through end of November, at the very least it will get you educated on the market so you're ready to go again in the spring.

Make sure you get yourself an exclusive buyer agent and protect your interest throughout the entire process.

Here is every property currently on the market in Hingham sorted by a map as well:

Several great new homes came on the market this week. They are in family neighborhoods, styles are Colonials and Capes with attached garages... If you are easing into a search mode and would like to be updated, on schools, neighborhoods, and many amenities, just call. Every town goes through a seasonality, averages include high and low priced homes to create that average number

; the question is what type of home is important for you?

Dee Lynch 781 385 9081
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 8, 2011
No one knows where prices will be next spring, but it's worth noting that according to the MLS (MLSPIN), prices in Hingham Jan - Sept 2011 are down 3% and sales volume is flat when compared to the same period in 2010. However, it's also worth noting that from September 1 through today, 12 properties have gone Under Contract compared to none for the same period last year.
Ditto on the low rates comments. Add to that the "depressed" pricing on some properties and you have a good opportunity. Congrats on the new job.
Ella, I would certainly consider that right now the rates are too low to pass up. I would start looking. Yes inventory goes up in the Spring but rates may also. No one says you have to look at 100 houses if you find one you love.
You have gotten many answers to your question. I do agree look now, who knows when rates will go up again. I don't want to repeat what so many have said, but Hingham is a beautiful town, more expensive than most, but has everything to offer: quaint downtown, water access, views that go on forever, great school reputation and good commute to the city by boat or train.
There are other coastal towns that are lovely too. Welcome to New England and the South Shore. Feel free to get in touch or log onto to my website for more information.
Don't want to sound like a broken record but you could not have chosen a better area to live in then the South Shore.
Since you have flexibility you should start looking now. The more time you have, the better the chance that you'll find something you like. Please feel free to contact me if you'd like a free relocation kit for Hingham and surrounding towns.
Hingham is a nice town, good school system, great shopping, commuter rail to Boston. Between now and end of year better time to buy to get a better price. Jan-Feb people within communities are thinking about selling to be relocated for summer and upcoming school year, Mar - April more homes hit maket, July homes that didn't sell get lowered, Sept school and sports start, Oct Halloween, Nov Thanksgiving, Dec Christmas and New Year, cycle starts again. Use to be Sept was busy, due to relo's which has slowed down within the past 5 years. People with no kids or very young ones, more flexible buyers.

Good Luck

Representing Greater Boston's Finest Builders and Communities - Brookliine, Dover, Needham, Newton, Wellesley and Weston
Web Reference: http://www.LouisWolfson.net
Hi Ella,

Well, the interest rates are great right now and the inventory is fine. The market historically has more inventory in the spring, but is also has more buyers to compete against. I would start looking now if you have the flexibility because you could find the perfect hone now for a better deal than in the spring when the buyer pool is greater. Below is a market profile on the town of Hingham as of today. As you can see, the median price is $849,000. for a single family. I do not know if you are from MA or out of state, but Hingham is one of the nicest and more expensive towns South of Boston. There are other wonderful towns in the area with great school systems as well. It really depends on your criteria and price range. I could give you a profile of the other surrounding towns with their market and education snapshots as well. Please email me at kara@bartonpropertygroup.com, or call 617-584-3662 for more information.

Congrats on your new job!
Kara Willis

Total Properties Listings 147 Avg. Days on Market 161
Lowest Price: $189,900
Median Price: $849,000
Highest Price: $6,995,000
Average Price: $1,002,671
Total Market Volume: $147,392,699

Lowest Price: $189,900
Median Price: $849,000
Highest Price: $6,995,000
Average Price: $1,002,671
Total Market Volume: $147,392,699
Web Reference: http://www.karawillis.com
My cell number is 1-781-690-2926. Please feel free to give me a call to talk
about Hingham and the surrounding towns. This territory is my specialty.

You will find my answer to your question below, however, I wanted to give
you my contact info.

Hi Ella!

Welcome to the beautiful South Shore....soon :)

You can't go wrong with schools in Hingham.

As far as purchasing Higham has almost 150 homes for sale with the majority of inventory being between $500-$700 or above $900K, you won't have a problem finding a home and if you move an dpurchase today, rates are in the 4's which might not be next year, also folks often time do a bit more negotiating on their pricing with the winter months coming up than they will in the spring.

Great town! Best of luck

Web Reference: http://www.agentmurphy.com
Hi Ella, The Fall is a busy market for Hingham, we have seen multiple new listings each week., they are in many price levels. Summer is actually a quiet time since many of our homeowners and new buyers are on vacation. As seasons go Spring is outstanding, though not due to the number of homes suddenly on the market, more due to the fact that every week you see more blooms, the variety of landscape is gorgeous. Giant trees to minor ivy with blooms all between just keep popping and it makes for an increasing display. My neighbor said "who could not buy a home in Hingham in April, May or June, so stunning", gardens and all the forests between.. I think that is more the push for spring... simply because it is so pretty( historically of course people focused on school relocation times), but with multiple careers in families and educational goals, often moves and new listings occur when all is lined up, hence listings occur all year long depending on each family's individual timing.

My personal thought is the home buying is a wonderful experience with many options, so you should jump in and see what fits your lifestyle, at least to view. Right now, you could get a feel for what areas are most comfortable. In this way, you'd have learned more about what you desire most in a home. You'll feel great, and be able to target priorities. I think it is great you have time to view and transition.
The town is close to Boston so offers a variety of commuting options, train, boat or highway, which always keeps home sales vibrant.

Welcome to give me a call to set up a look, 781 385 9081

Dee at William Raveis RE Hingham
Hi Ella,
I am a Hingham agent and would be happy to take you around town, to see the properties that are currently on the market.
To answer your question and help you with your decision, presently the interest rates are historically low, and Eastern Masschusetts prices have stablized. No one knows what the market will be like next Spring.
I would suggest looking now to see if you find any properties appealing.
I would be happy to give you more information specific listings, and new listings coming on the market soon,as well as other information and facts about Hingham.
Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Hi Ella,

Where are you moving from? Please provide as much details as possible as to your criteria for the house so that realtors in Hingham and nearby towns can assist you. Would you consider renting short term first before you purchase a home which is a big investment to get a feel of the environment?

Moreover, have you contacted a mortgage officer to check if you are qualified and how much you are qualified for?

Regarding the house inventory, the market has huge inventory and by consulting a realtor in MA, he/she should be able to give you the current trend. The realtor can also provide the statistics on the house inventories for this season vis-a-vis spring. This may not be the trend next spring but rest assured, there will be houses available for you when you are ready to make the move.

Best of Luck.

Inventory is decent now and interest rates are beautiful. Typically the spring market can produce more houses, however, there is a lot of inventory everywhere. Having said that, Hingham properties go very quickly when priced properly. If you're new to the area, you may want to see what areas you like first and get comfortable with the rhythms of Hingham.

Top rated schools and a commuters paradise make Hingham highly desirable.

Either way, fall market or spring, you can't go wrong.

You may want to take a look at Cohasset as well.
Congratulations with your new job! If you need any assistance, please feel free give me a call.

Best of luck.