Need some direction. What suburbs of Boston can offer excellent schools, safe neighborhood, approx. 30 min.

Asked by Stacey, Boston, MA Wed Jul 22, 2009

commute by CAR to downtown and a 3 br home with 2000sq ft for $450K max? Looking for a home in move in condition, like within a month! Prefer newer homes or older homes with charm.

Answers

9
Beth Lancast…, Agent, Anna Maria, FL
Wed Jul 22, 2009
I live in Florida now, but was born and raised in Andover. They offer excellent school systems and a beautiful town. 30 - 35 minutes to downtown boston. Great access from "93" and the commuter train into the city has a couple of stops in town.
Irena, , Newton, MA
Sun Jul 26, 2009
There are 2 option in Acton and 1 in Concord, each with excellent schools and pretty close to what you are looking for.
MLS #: 70952517
MLS #: 70917026
MLS #: 70933351
only issue could be commute, bu the schools are worth it.
RoostWise Te…, Agent, Bedford, MA
Fri Jul 24, 2009
I originally answered with a simple "Lexington MA has one of the top rated school systems in MA". I missed the smaller portion of the question with more details. That size house in the proximity to the city you describe, with excellent schools and in move-in condition for $450k max will be very, very, difficult to find - even in this market.

If you can zero in on your ONE "must-have" and be flexible on the others if your price is limited to $450k.
Zelda Kohn, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Fri Jul 24, 2009
Hi Stacey,

let's have a reality check before you start 'spinning the wheels':

1. Are you prepared to pay cash for a home as soon as you find it?
2. Do you mind being in a major road location?
3. Do you need to commute to downtown often and have affordable parking for your car there?

If you cannot answer 'yes' to those questions, you might need to have a plan 'B'. Here is why:

1. One month is not enough for a complete cycle involving house hunting, negotiation, inspection, purchase & sale agreement, lining up a lender and an attorney, get a lender's commitment, close on a purchase, move in. You need a minimum of 5 weeks from the time you identify the house you want to buy.

2. Towns with excellent schools within 30 min of Boston typically cost more than $450K unless you're willing to be on a major route or compromise one of your your requirements: 2,000 sq ft,, 3 bdrm, move in condition or schools.

3. Parking in downtown is costly. If you need to commute there often you may want to look into locations that offer public transportation to Boston, otherwise you need to factor in your estimates the monthly cost of parking in downtown.

When I start with a new client I get them to the office where I can show them a big map of Boston and surrounding areas, educate them about various locations and market conditions, learn their requirements and (re)set the expectation on what they can get for the their $$, when and how. That makes the whole process more effective and contributes to a successful experience! I suggest you do that with your agent before anything. If you don't have an agent that is what you need to find first!
Web Reference:  http://www.boc-re.com
kb27, , South Dakota
Fri Jul 24, 2009
I would check out Marblehead or Swampscott. Good values, 1A is not a bad road in the off hours, and great values/charm, IMHO.
Christopher…, Agent, Woburn, MA
Thu Jul 23, 2009
Check out schools on schooldigger.com and I like Wakefield, good schools, nice homes, commuter rail to Boston, a large lake to walk around, close to major routes!
Dakota Riley, , 02184
Wed Jul 22, 2009
Hi Stacey,
If you are interested in Just south of Boston, Hingham, Norwell, Hanover and Scituate offer great properties, and amazing school systems. If this is the area you were thinking please feel free to contact me at dakota@chaseteam.com and I can assist you further. Best of luck!!
John Savigna…, Agent, Hopkinton, MA
Wed Jul 22, 2009
Natick, Hopkinton, ashland all have great schools, hiway access and commuter rail.
more info on my website below. call if i can help. john
Jackie O'Con…, , Boston, MA
Wed Jul 22, 2009
Hi Stacey,

I would consider Reading, Andover, swampscott, stoneham, Winchester. Call me if you want to discuss this. If you aren't cash, it may be pushing it for a loan to be processed in 30 days. 857-294-9994

Jackie