Natural light issues in the apartment!

Asked by nachyaonline, Culver City, CA Sun Jul 14, 2013

Hi, Our offer is accepted on a 2 bedroom condo at Mar vista. I have a question about natural light. The apartment's patio is facing south east. All three rooms(2 bedroom and living room) have door openings to the patio. There are no other windows in the apartment. In the morning one of the bedroom and living room gets decent light exposure which gets lesser through the rest of the day. By 4:00 pm it gets pretty dark. Kitchen and all bathrooms are very dark all day. As a first time buyer I am confused that what issues can arise including resale?Will the problem get worse in winters?

Answers

4
JR Thrasher, Agent, San Diego, CA
Sun Sep 1, 2013
Why did you put an offer in on a house if you didn't like which way the windows faced?

J.R. Thrasher
http://www.SanDiegoRealEstateVeterans.com
619-929-0105
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sun Jul 14, 2013
You'll find this too will change with the seasons. If lighting is going to be a issue for you this unit may not be your best choice. Accepting something that is "second best" can be the prelude to disappointment. Continue your search to explore other options. You can always come back to this one, provided it doesn't sell.

carlos parra…, Other Pro, Monrovia, CA
Sun Jul 14, 2013
Is it a problem? This is a matter of perspective. The afternoon western sun is quite hot and very difficult to shade because it is low on the horizon. What you have is a trade-off. It is darker in the afternoon but you are staying cooler. And yes, it is "worse" in the winter simply because the days are shorter.
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Sun Sep 1, 2013
I haven't had any buyers who were concerned about the exposure in a property. It won't be the greatest for growing plants, but it's possible the property may stay cooler in Summer months. You can put in "full spectrum" lighting and/or additional lighting if it creates a problem for you.
I have to agree, when the Winter months come along, the light will change even more.