legion0514, Home Buyer in Cincinnati, OH

My wife and I bought a house in what MLS sheet said Hyde Park. But come to find out it is in Oakley. Are realtors allowed to list false info on MLS?

Asked by legion0514, Cincinnati, OH Thu May 23, 2013

Answers

14
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Thu May 23, 2013
Surely you had occasion to see the Escorw papers, or the Title, or the Tax papers, or the Loan papers; something!
Fred Herman, Agent, Staten Island, NY
Sat Jun 1, 2013
No. but there's a difference between false (deliberate) and a mistake.
Stephen Shie…, Agent, Cincinnatiq, OH
Sat Jun 1, 2013
MLS sets the rules for how a home is listed on their website

I would suggest you calling the MLS of Greater Cincinnati to find out about the specific address in question
Sandi Cornett, Agent, Cibncinnati, OH
Sun May 26, 2013
Sorry, but I just read your reply below. Are you saying you did not have a walk through before your closing?
Sandi Cornett, Agent, Cibncinnati, OH
Sun May 26, 2013
I'm sorry you were misled. However, Oakley has a different zipcode than Hyde Park. Oakley is 45209 and Hyde Park is 45208 and this is what differentiates the two. If you have a nice house and are happy with it, the zipcode should not really matter. Both areas have very nice amenities within their respective communities and are great locations within the city to live in. Enjoy your home while you are in it and try
not to dwell on an error that was possibly made by either the re-lo company or the agent, as mentioned below. I do believe MLS does say the information is deemed to be accurate but not guaranteed. I'm sure your house is wonderful.
Kristin Cale…, Agent, Anytown, OH
Fri May 24, 2013
Good morning and that you for your question. The CAGIS answer is correct and the MLS does list that disclosure. It's unfortunate, but with agents being licensed in the State of Ohio, if it was an out-of-area listing agent, they would not know the area. Thanks, Kristin.
Bart, Home Owner, 45208
Fri May 24, 2013
There is an area near the Hyde Park Country Club that had historically been Hyde Park. Several years ago, it was "relocated" to Oakley, by CAGIS. In fact, Hyde Park Country Club itself was relocated to Oakley! The residents protested to CAGIS, making a very strong case that the area was and is Hyde Park, and CAGIS acquiesced and put it back in Hyde Park. The MLS policy is to abide by CAGIS. So check CAGIS. Also, the County Auditor only reports neighborhoods; it does not define them.
Tressa Ellis, Agent, Cincinnati, OH
Thu May 23, 2013
I also believe that there is a disclosure on all MLS info online or printed that says the information is deemed to be accurate but not guaranteed.
Sara Foltz, Agent, Cincinnati, OH
Thu May 23, 2013
No, the MLS is not auto generated but they do try and catch errors and correct. The area mentioned you are in is Oakley or it could be east Hyde Park. Michael is right, the city, the auditor, and the MLS have had some major disagreements about some of these boundaries
Michael Tegg…, Agent, Cincinnati, OH
Thu May 23, 2013
Some of the answers below by agents is not correct. We are not required to list properties in the actual neighborhood they are in. In fact in some cases MLS forces us to do just the opposite. MLS and The Hamilton County Auditor do not agree on some neighborhood division lines. The biggest debate has been in Oakley vs Hyde Park. Further, MLS forces us to list homes in Avondale and Walnut Hills for example, when they are not in those neighborhoods at all, in some cases, not even close. If you would email me your address I can see if it was a situation where that is the case.

Michael Teggart, Realtor Comey & Shepherd
513-300-7644
mteggart@comey.com
legion0514, Home Buyer, Cincinnati, OH
Thu May 23, 2013
I'm not worried about pride. I worry I paid to much for my house being at top end of Oakley prices and mid lower Hyde Park. I myself just looked at the Hamilton County Auditor. They have my house listed as Oakley. Sibcycline was the sellers reps. Are you certain MLS are auto generated. Plus the fact my WIFE said she had to live in Hyde Park. One more thing for me to get in trouble about. We were first time home buyers buying a house out of state souly relying on our Realtor for help. Yes our parents came to view the house but before we closed we never step a foot in the house. We are on the Hyde Park Golf course.
Sara Foltz, Agent, Cincinnati, OH
Thu May 23, 2013
There are some areas of Oakley and Hyde Park that are right on the line and residents dispute the neighborhood listing on the MLS. As stated, usually the MLS themselves will catch incorrect locations and change them automatically. Without your address it is hard to give more specifics.

In case you don't realize, besides the local pride, there are no differences between to two in terms of property taxes, etc. They are only neighborhood designations.
Tressa Ellis, Agent, Cincinnati, OH
Thu May 23, 2013
Realtors are not allowed to list false information in the MLS. Generally if a property is listed under the wrong area per the MLS area codes the MLS will make the correction and notify the agent. This does happen sometimes if a property is on the edge of the area. Without looking at your property on the MLS to see exactly what it said, it is hard to say what exactly the problem was. Did you review the legal description when you closed on the purchase of your home?
Tressa Ellis, Agent, Cincinnati, OH
Thu May 23, 2013
What is your property address?