My wife and I are looking to buy a rental property. Our house is in my name as are most of our bills so my

Asked by Tom, Peoria, AZ Tue Apr 28, 2009

debt to income does not look good on paper. Can we buy a house in my wife's name without me being involved?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Paul Welden, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Wed Apr 29, 2009
HI Tom,

AZ is a community property state, which means that as a married couple, both incomes, both credit histories, both of your debts are used for loan qualifications. Although you can own property as sole and separate from your spouse, married couples still have to qualify together and then one of the spouses can just disclaim their ownership rights. So, you will have to be involved in the credit qualifying, and if the qualification is satisfactory then your wife can buy real estate sole and separate from you, as long as you sign a disclaimer deed at the closing table.

Buyer's Agent Realtor
1 vote
Linda Halfpop, , Chandler, AZ
Wed Jul 29, 2009
absolutely, as long as she can show proof of employment and income and qualifies...she will take title to the property as a married woman sole and separate and you will sign a disclaimer deed which takes you off of all interest in the property. Look to the REO's for good rental properties. The lender that foreclosed will be willing to work with you since they had to foreclose on the home. Good Luck
0 votes
Lucinda Tkach, , Phoenix, AZ
Wed Apr 29, 2009

You will still need to contact a lender, the lender will give you the best options available. If you dont have one I have one on my site that is highly reccomended by all my buyers.

Feel free to contact me for any other questions!

Lucinda Tkach
Windermere Central
0 votes
Randy Hooker, Agent, Chandler, AZ
Tue Apr 28, 2009
Hey Tom...

Yes, it is possible, but a good lender would have to assess your total situation, your wife's income, debt ratios, etc. If you would like a strong recommendation on a reputable Loan Officer, just let me know.

Best regards,

0 votes
Steve Eveleth, Agent, Livermore, CA
Tue Apr 28, 2009
if your wife makes qualifying income maybe, if you go FHA & your married they will still run both of your credit & they will take your situation into account anyway...are you upside down on your current property? That will have have to be taken into account, the banks are onto people dumping upside dwon homes but trying to purchase before they let'em to a good lender that is willing to work, most of them are lazy these days & are so busy with the first time buyer purchase boom they can get away with it.....there is still a bit of room to get creative with FHA financing if its packaged right the first time it goes to undwriting, you get a one time shot, if it gets red flagged with FHA it opens up a can of worms....good luck Steve Eveleth
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more