My wife and I are looking at 3/2 houses with a backyard in San Ramon, Pleasanton and Dublin. Which has the best bang for the buck?

Asked by Eric Fisch, Mountain View, CA Mon Jan 16, 2012

We are trying to stay under $500k, but can possibly go as high as $550k.

Answers

8
Julia Murtagh, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Mon Jan 16, 2012
HI Eric,
You have received many great responses to this very common question I hear from my Buyer's. I would need to know more from you, to help you determine the best location for your move. Where are you working? That might be a huge factor is what location is going to be your best city. Are you the type that wants to be involved in your city? Do you want to have great restaurants to dine at, parks close by, walk to Bart? Schools are a major factor for values and resale.I need more information to be able to give you my solid advice, since all three cities offer unique environments.
I will tell you this! Best Bang for your Buck tends to be distressed sales. All three cities have distressed properties. You just need to have a strong Buyer's agent in place to help you navigate and then pounce on the best deal.

Julia Murtagh
"Bringing Integrity to Your Front Door"
http://www.JuliaMurtagh.com
925-997-2411
Ramsey Messi…, Agent, San Ramon, CA
Mon Jan 16, 2012
I would definetely rule out Dublin, they had the most depreciation out of all 3 and is located in alameda county which brings us to the next one pleasanton which held up better in depreciation but is in alameda county for the school district. So that leaves you with San Ramon which had one of the lowest rates of depreciation in the housing downturn and is located in a very desirable school district that is hands down the best in every category.
San Ramon would give you the best return and will recover first and most when housing turns around. I can assist with your search as I am very familiar with these areas and can give you more in depth information.

510-435-6519
Joanne Liotta, Agent, Danville, CA
Mon Jan 16, 2012
You would do well with all 3 areas.. As per price per square foot (highert to lowest) it would be Pleasanton, San Ramon, Dublin. All 3 are close to BART an shopping. All 3 have many parks including sport parks an community centers, senior centers. All three have newer developments or established neighborhoods. The schools in the Pleasanton School District and San Ramon School District are ranked higher. I've been told the Pleasanton School District is compared to schools with enrollment under 25,000 whereas the San Ramon School District is compared to schools with enrollment over 25,000. Dublin School District has been improving yeartly. The school district will help keep the values up. Pleasanton has a downtown with many events. San Ramon and Dublin don't have downtowns but they both have many community events and festivities.I hope you find this information helpful. I am dedicated to helping you find your perfect home and look forward of opportunity to hear from you.
Joanne Liotta, REALTOR
DRE#0 1437462
Keller Williams
925-785-1586
http://www.JoanneLiotta.com
Bernard Gibb…, Agent, Danville, CA
Mon Jan 16, 2012
I think Steve and Vickie make great points but note that although San Ramon does not have a downtown, there is one on the horizon and when that eventually does get started, I think we will see considerable increases in home values there.

Other than that, I would say that you need to look as much at individual neighborhoods in all three cities, as much as in the cities themselves. You may find better value in one Pleasanton neighborhood than in some San Ramon or Dublin neighborhoods, but the opposite could equally be the case.

Best advice - focus on the location and lifestyle suppport that best meet your needs.

Bernard Gibbons

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Bernard Gibbons, J. Rockcliff Realtors
DRE License # 01331583
Phone (925) 997-1585 - bernard@bernardgibbons.com

http://www.BernardGibbons.com
Vickie Nagy, Agent, Palm Springs, CA
Mon Jan 16, 2012
Hello Eric,

It depends on how motivated the seller is and how much competition there is for the home. Many of the newer homes draw multiple offers while the older ones tend to be on the market longer, especially the ones that have not been updated. An older home can be an opportunity house as you are not paying for the updates that someone else chose that might not be to your taste. However, renovations can be a hassle and run over budget.

San Ramon Valley Unified School District is the top large district in the state. Pleasanton schools are awesome, and Dublin schools are climbing rapidly. You can't go wrong there. So it comes down to commute and lifestyle. Pleasanton has a great downtown. San Ramon has no downtown. Many of the big-box stores are in Dublin.

On http://www.VickieSellsHomes.com under the Neighborhood tab you will find community information including median home price for each of the cities listed back to 2006 so you can see the adjustments in median home price. If you have any real estate questions, you can always find me online.

Kindest Regards,
Vickie Nagy
Kelly Paulsen, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Mon Jan 16, 2012
Hi Eric,

You should have a lot of choices that meet all of your needs. While all the cities you listed have their own advantages and disadvantages, Dublin is going to give you the most home for your money. If you would like to come out to see what each of these cities has to offer I am available to show you around. You can call me at (925) 550-4523 or email me at kelly@kellypaulsen.com. My website has a great search function also.
Web Reference:  http://www.kellypaulsen.com
Steve Mohseni, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Mon Jan 16, 2012
Eric,

Best bang for your buck would be Dublin as it is within proximity of amenities that Tri Valley has to offer, however each town has its own characteristics and qualities why making them different. All San Ramon and Pleasanton school are top-rated school where you need to be a bit selective about location if buying in Dublin and that is why the real estate prices are a bit higher in those communities. If school is important to you now or will be within a few years, then you may want to consider buying in an area with a better school. Depending on where you commute to work, it makes a difference where you buy. These are just couple of things to think about…what I would like to suggest to you is right from the getgo, partner with a local Realtor and let him/her help you analyze your priorities and set you on a right path. This will save you quite bit of time along the way.

Best of luck...Would love to help you along when appropriate.
Rhonda Fee, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Mon Jan 16, 2012
Hi Eric,
Great question. Let me send you a list of homes that matches your search criteria and we can break it down from there. You can call me directly 925-200-0827 or send me an email; rhonda@rhondafee.com with your email address. I would love to help you!
Web Reference:  http://www.rhondafee.com