My townhouse sold the first showing for asking price. I had requested the house be listed at a higher price and the realtor said no way.

Asked by Runnher, Milford, MA Wed Jun 5, 2013

My husband died 6 months ago. When the housing inspection was complete I asked how it went she laughed in my face and said she won't back out it was a great deal. My husband died 6 months ago..she screwed me.

Answers

7
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Thu Jun 6, 2013
Runnher, Milford Ma:

This is a truly conflicting issue. Having lost my spouse in the midst of a dramatic life change left me adrift and incredibly vulnerable. Six months is insufficient time to regain the clarity of purpose from where we are able to make the best decisions. These influences converged upon you and the aftermath has left you harboring .....RESENTMENT!
-
When one entertains the thought that they have been minipulated, and your posting suggests that what is occupying your thoughts, the certain outcome if the feeling of resentment.
-
Runner, it matters not if your accusation is true or false.
What does matter is what you do next.
-
It is impossible to seperate one business decisons from personal issues when being frequently ambushed by waves of grief. They can bring you to your knees. I know.
-
You must allow the greiving process to complete. It will never go away but will, in time be your travel companion from whom you learn how to celebrate life and the memories.
-
When you are approaching wholeness, the capciaty to be willng to forgive will present a new garden of possibility. To not forgive is to banish yourself from the real prospect of a life liberated through truth. And the truth is, you must go on. Forgiveness is the key that opens the gate.
-
Your townhome is sold.
Put this greivience down. Declare it dead to you. Unencumbered and untainted by resentment, walk with expectation into your life. Celebrate. Be curious. Do new things. Make new friends. I know what happened to the old ones. Make peace. Choose kindness.

Best of success,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, Fl
727.420. 4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
Christine Mo…, Agent, Wilbraham, MA
Thu Jun 6, 2013
You can check the comps to see if it sold at market value. You had a townhouse in an area with other similar town houses. If you had listed it higher it may not have sold right away. If your home was listed really low you would have had multiple offers. There is not way to really tell unless your home was much nicer or much older and unimproved.
When a home is priced right it will sell right away for the asking price. if it sits over priced it may sell months later for a much lower price. You can't ever really tell it depends on the market.
Terry Farnsw…, Agent, Lisle, IL
Wed Jun 5, 2013

Something quite frankly isn't adding up here.

You requested that your property be listed at a higher price - then ultimately agreed to the agent's recommended price and signed the listing agreement? Did the agent provide any comparables to back up or justify her recommended price - or was the suggested price just pulled out of the sky?

Next, you accepted the offer when it came in - with no arguments?

Finally - you asked how the home inspection went - and your agent responded with "HAHA she's not backing out because this is such a great deal for her"??? That's a pretty odd response to your question...

At the end of the day - a real estate agent's job is to market your property - not make the final decision ultimately on what to accept or what to price it at. Also, just because your house sold quickly and for list price, doesn't necessarily automatically mean you should have priced it higher.

There is no way to know without seeing your home, and analyzing the comparables - whether or not you got a fair deal.
Kevin Vitali, Agent, Tewksbury, MA
Wed Jun 5, 2013
One thing is it is always your decision on how to price your house irregardless of what a real estate agent may think.

If you had other sales in your complex it will give you an indication of what your condo would sell for. Just because it sold for asking on the first showing does not mean it was underpriced. It is possible the right buyer showed up at the right time.

I would first start by looking at the comparable properties. If you see a huge discrepency in what you believe the market value is versus what it was listed for then contact a real estate attorney. Wrong doing on a real estate agents part may be hard to prove as you signed the listing agreement approving the price and subsequently signed the offer.
Johnny Warie…, Agent, Worcester, MA
Wed Jun 5, 2013
Hi Runnher,

I will recommend you speak with an Real Estate Attorney to advice you on this issue.
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Wed Jun 5, 2013
Well, maybe not. Would you be happier if she had not bought it because the price was higher? You would be happier with it still on the market for sale with no takers? You would be happier that more buyers are coming in the house to look and walk out because the price is too high? You would be happier if you had to wait 2-3-4 more months to get an offer and it might be for the same amount?

You need to think about it differently and that you were lucky to get it sold so quickly.
Richard Shap…, , Framingham, MA
Wed Jun 5, 2013
You didn't have to accept the offer. At. This point you should contact the RE Licensing Board if you think you have a grievance.