My son has reading disability and we are considering the town-any thoughts on the special ed?

Asked by anne.king, Lexington, MA Thu Aug 23, 2012

Answers

1
Russ Rougeau, Agent, Needham, MA
Mon Jul 7, 2014
I have been a licensed Broker for 18 years in the area but do not have any first hand experience in this specific school system. From what I know from friends who have had friends with autistic children in the system, the Westwood Schools have a larger budget than most schools in the state for special ed. I am told that Westwood has been exemplary in this area and is a preferred school system for this very reason. I also have a close friend who is a child advocate and I will check to see what experience she has had with Westwood. Call me at 781-929-6456 for further discussion.
I lived with my children in Westwood for 1.5 years and I also struggled with roadblocks to getting services appropriate for my child with ASD. I have a friend still in town who says the difference in attitude and services for her child between the elementary school and middle school is like night and day. He is finally getting what he needs. Alas, I have no direct knowledge about LBLD. Another thought: A district's programs are only as good as the oversight and implementation. A single change in administrative personnel can change everything. Your best bet is to know your child's needs, know your rights and the district's responsibilities, and know what to do if they are not providing FAPE. Good luck!
Flag Fri Oct 10, 2014
I have 2 kids on IEPs in Westwood. I would NOT recommend moving here. The district is very dollar oriented vs. education oriented when it comes to actually meeting a child's true needs. It has been a constant fight for services over the last 15 years. What you will be offered looks great on paper, but is just smoke and mirrors. I am an Ivy League educated Mom, so I feel that I am able to identify quality education. We moved to Westwood for the schools, but that was before we had our autistic son. If you have a special needs child look elsewhere for better services. If your child is headed to Harvard, you are all set here.
Flag Wed Aug 20, 2014