My partner and I are looking to buy in the 300k to 400k. In process of getting a VA loan but not sure whether he can be on the loan with me.

Asked by Chrisholloway59, Arlington, VA Sat May 4, 2013

I have been told yes and no. We are not married but could do so in DC or MD since it is not allowed here

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3117380068-2100-Lee-Hwy-434-A…

Answers

8
K. Ron Ataba…, Agent, Tysons Corner, VA
Sun May 5, 2013
MD, DC, or VA is not giving you the loan or guaranteeing it. You need to contact the person who is handling the loan for you to check with the underwriter and subsequently VA to have the correct and up to date answer for you.
, ,
Sun May 5, 2013
Chris,

You will get a different answer depending on who you talk to. It's all about how the underwriter validates the relationship. There are several states including DC that have taken a stance on same sex marriages or domestic partnerships. If I were you, I would really really really take some time and hook up with an experienced Loan Officer who can give you (in writing) an Underwriter Opinion or Credit Approval before you go out and make an offer on a property. I am a Vet and have been doing VA loans for over 20 years. I can tell you this...All lenders are not alike.

Best of Luck!
Keith Van Cl…, Agent, Alexandria Va 20151, VA
Sat May 4, 2013
I have worked with twenty buyers in the past year that were VA loan clients and all settled on a home. My lender can help you with the details. Just let me know.
allan erps,A…, Agent, Pearl River, NY
Sat May 4, 2013
FICO scores, income & debt ratios are the most important.. yes you can share or buy the home together for sure if you qualify!
Miryam Bohab…, , Arlington, VA
Sat May 4, 2013
Yes, speak to your lender, you should be able to get a loan together. I have done that before with unmarried couple. they call it your significant other, so both incomes are counted as one. This was specifically for a VHDA loan. Best is to speak to your lender though.

Miryam
Marcia Burgo…, Agent, Arlington, VA
Sat May 4, 2013
I can't speak for the VA but last summer I closed a buyer with a VA loan. He was getting married but since they were not married at the time, his fiancée could not be on the loan. You would be best to call the VA directly or talk to your lender. Not a Realtor. I can put you in touch with some excellent lenders who can answer your questions efficiently.
Jamie DeSimo…, Agent, Fairfax, VA
Sat May 4, 2013
Hi Chris,

It would be best if you spoke with another lender to get the facts. I know that unmarried people can (and do) purchase property together so I don't see any reason why that would prohibit you. The VA loan may have specifics since I assume you served in the military and perhaps your partner didn't? That may be why you are getting varying stories. Does your partner need to be on the loan or just on the title to the home? (You can do one without the other.)

If you would like a referral for a great lender, please let me know. (I have three different ones that I work with.)

Best of luck on your home purchase and I am happy to serve as a resource for any other questions you may have! (Also, I do a lot in Arlington, so let me know if you have any specific questions about locations, etc...)

Cheers,
Jamie
Jamie Lee DeSimone
Realtor | Residential Property Enthusiast | Cat Wrangler
Keller Williams Capital Properties - Fairfax
http://www.vahomesbyjamie.com/
Find me on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/vahomesbyjamie
James Downing, Agent, Dunedin, FL
Sat May 4, 2013
I can advise you on a great loan officer to speak with about this and other options open to you. Drop our team an email: Info@MetroDCHouses.com