My inspection report shows 2 major problems: 1. Kitchen sink drain is improperly vented. 2. There is a sag in

Asked by Richard, Thu Mar 20, 2008

dinning area.
Even the seller says the kitchen drain does vented and sag is normal for 50 years old house. How'd I know it is true? If I don't want to spend extra hundreds of dollars to hire someone to estimate the fixing cost, what else can I do?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Joe Michalski, , Philadelphia, PA
Thu Apr 24, 2008
I have seen lots of homes with some floor sag or "deflection" mostly due to age. It is possible to limit this and arrest any sag/sinking, but correcting it can be a costly undertaking. Use of support beams and posts under the sagging portion can support the area.

Venting of the kitchen sink should not be a major problem. Devices call "Air Admittance Valves" or AAVs can often be installed to vent an individual sink (this is frewquently done to vent an island sink, for example). These are inexpensive and can be installed by any qualifed plumber. A good site for more information is:…

Hope that helps!
Web Reference:
0 votes
., , Grand Rapids, MI
Sun Mar 23, 2008

As part of the negotiating process, your Realtor could ask the seller to correct the problem prior to close. Since I don't have first hand knowledge of your situation, run the idea by your buyer's agent and see what he thinks.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more