My husband's boss has a wife who is a horrible Realtor.

Asked by Carrie, Princeton, NJ Fri Oct 26, 2007

We go to open houses and call on our own. She keeps pressuring us to sign up that we are working with only her. I prefer to find someone else. My husband said we should just look on our own and have her write the deal once we locate a house. Suggestions?

Answers

17
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Sun Jan 20, 2008
Hi Carrie,

Are you referring to the wife that was trying to become your Realtor? Did you visit properties with her? Did you sign any buyer agency agreement with her?

Even if you signed a buyer agency agreement, there would be a cancellation or termination clause that wuold outline your options.

If you looked at properties with this agent, the agent may have a claim to the commission if you were to purchase of these homes. That determination depends upon more than just looking at the property with the agent.

As you can see, there are a lot of "ifs" and "maybes" involved in the answer.

If I were to assume the agent you are concerned about is the horrible Realtor you reference above........
If you have no signed agreement, have never looked at property with her, then, you have no obligation.
You may begin your process with the buyer agent of your choice. Good luck in your home search.

Deborah
Mr.P, , Arizona
Fri Oct 26, 2007
HeLLOOOO Carrie, Come on down and play......

"The cost of doing business"

Tell me you have not gone to a work dinner party, and the host says.....

Look I have Decorated the whole house.
You say wow, it is beautiful.
As you are trying to hold back that awful dinner she made, which you said was fabulous.

It is your Husbands boss who is the schmuck.
He wants to fatten his wallet by stuffing his wife into your life.
We call this....... "the cost of doing business"

Unless your husband is planning a career change.

Sign the buyer broker " Oh Suzy Schmuck, we would never use anyone else."

Then, This is the part where you guys send me some live lobsters.

Start looking at homes that you can`t qualify for. Tell Mrs Schmuck.

" Gee if Harry Husband only made a little more money, maybe we could afford that home if he got that promotion."

Business is a two way street. Bonus season is right around the corner.

Thanks for playing........."The cost of doing business"
Ute Ferdig, Agent, Auburn, CA
Fri Oct 26, 2007
Hi Carrie. I am curious what makes this agent horrible. Have you ever sat down with her to discuss your expectations. You probably never formally interviewed her as she is the wife of your husband's boss. My suggestion is that you schedule an appointment to sit down with her and tell her what you want from her. Sometimes, when an agent senses that a client is not committed, the agent does not put as much effort into the relationship. The reality is that there are only so many hours in the day and agents have to allocate their time wisely. I can realistically only work with a few buyers at a time and still do a good job. Let's say I have 4 buyers and 2 are committed and the other 2 are not yet. All 4 want me to show properties to them. Obviously, I will give priority to the 2 that have already committed and the other 2 may think that I am a horrible agent because I don't do something that they want me to do. Of course, I would try to make arrangements for the other two as best and I can, but the 2 that are not committed to me will not get priority. That's just the way it is.

Make a list of all the things that you want of your agent and then discuss those items with the agent. Since she is the wife of your husband's boss, you want to make sure that there won't be any bad feelings if you end up choosing someone else. Good luck.
Web Reference:  http://www.theMLShub.com
Debra Talley, Agent, McLean, VA
Fri Oct 26, 2007
Hi Carrie--Buying a home can be a very stressful time and it is important to have the right "chemistry" between the REALTOR and the client. It would be a good idea to interview several agents in your area and establish a relationship with the one you like, in order to make the process an enjoyable experience for you. Once you find the right person and commit to working with that person, you will have someone who will find you the right home and represent you in the transaction.
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Sat Jan 19, 2008
Hi Carrie,

From your quetion in October, it does not seem like there is a 'prior' agent. Can you update us on where the 'prior' agent came from and what happened while you had the 'prior' agent? That's how we can answer this question.

Sylvia
Web Reference:  http://SylviaBarryHomes.com
Ruthless, , 60558
Sat Jan 19, 2008
It all depends on any agreements you might have signed. If you signed something it should have a beginning and end date.
Ruth
Diane Glander, Agent, Spring Lake, NJ
Fri Oct 26, 2007
There is no need for you to feel pressured to sign on with her--ie. buyers agency agreement. If she is really good, she wouldn't be concerned about losing you, or putting on the pressure to sign the agreement. Clients should work with you because they like you, thus want to work with you--not because they are obligated legally to do so.
I agree with Ruth, though. this is an extremely difficult position to be in. You could also try the "my wife's best friend/sister/daughter/whatever! is a realtor and when she heard we were looking . . . If it means saving your husband's job, and you know the neighborhood well, you could use her to write the deal and negotiate for you. It could be costly if she is only part time, or not a real expert on the area/other agents in the area, but that might not be as bad as the cost of the aggravation your husband will face on the job.
Web Reference:  http://www.dianeglander.com
Ruthless, , 60558
Fri Oct 26, 2007
It sounds as if you are in a TERRIBLE spot. I'm sure she is NOT doing anything wrong or dis-servicing you in any justifiable way to "cut her loose" but that she is just NOT GOOD. I like Debra's comment about being a stressful time and Nathan's point about specializing in a neighborhood. What I would do is say her or have your husband say to his boss:

"Because buying a house can be such a stressful situation, if anything went wrong I would hate to have it impact our relationship. We feel uncomfortable mixing our personal life with our business life."

OH, I would hate to be in your shoes!
Ruth
Yolanda Tann…, , 92584, 92585, 92562, 92563, 92564, 92596, 92592
Fri Oct 26, 2007
Carrie,
if you think the she her services are not up to par then tactfully don't use her services. A Realtor does a lot more than just write the deal. The offer, counteroffer and acceptance steps are a small portion and only the tip of the iceberg.

Since your Realtor is to operate within your best interests during the transaction having confidence in your Realtor's ability from the onset is very important. The Client/Realtor relationship has many up's and down's over the life of an escrow and knowingly starting out with Realtor who you think is under par will likely increase your stress level.

As long as people continue to use the services of under par agents they are also perpetuating that persons longevity in the business. If you knew of a doctor, surgeon, dentist, or lawyer who was substandard would you entrust them with providing you services? Homebuying is usually one of the biggest decisions most families make, you owe it to yourself and family to entrust your confidence to a Realtor that you think will do the best job on YOUR behalf.

You many have other friends who have a Realtor that they have worked with in the past who provided great services. It is not uncommon for each spouse to know different agents and then choose accordingly.

Good Luck
Web Reference:  http://www.951homes4sale.com
Nathan Juarez, , Bandon, OR
Fri Oct 26, 2007
Does she specialize in the neighborhood that you are searching in? Part of the benefits to using a Realtor is that they know the ins and outs of each area. They are able to inform you of new homes on the market in that area and whether or not it is a fit for you. Whatever you do, don't sign an exclusive contract with her. It sounds like you are in a difficult spot, but if you want better representation you simply have to ask for it. If you don't get it, tell her that you need to find someone else to work with.

Buying a home should not be taken lightly and if she isn't doing her end of the work, cut her loose. Just having her write up the deal contributes to her delinquency and she needs to know as a professional, how her clients need to be treated. It may be tough to swallow, but she isn't doing you any favors, why would you do her a favor? In any instance, it needs to be dealt with lightly but it also needs to happen immediately.
Tman, , 30642
Sat Feb 23, 2008
Fri Oct 26 2007, 09:42 .......................?
Wishesloves, Home Buyer, Florida
Sat Feb 23, 2008
What's wrong with Your Husband, it he mad or is something going on between her and him. Seriously your the wife thats that. not the husband boss wife. I suggest You seat with your husband and have a chat with him, tell him, your thoughts and feeling and be open and honest tell him you don't want his boss wife
Carrie, , Princeton, NJ
Sat Jan 19, 2008
We put everything on hold through the Holidays. Do we have any obligation to our prior agent? Can I just call someone else?
ian cockburn, Agent, New Orleans, LA
Fri Oct 26, 2007
Get yourself a Realtor you can be comfortable with. You are right.

...get someone who will work with you...nothing is more irritating than the last minute Realtor....they show up at closing, not prepared, never help the customer who is paying them...mixing the mud and usually results in a worse deal for their "client"
Web Reference:  http://www.iansellsnola.com
Ruthless, , 60558
Fri Oct 26, 2007
Sometimes you have to finish reading the entire post even if you think the person is nuts. Personally, I like the idea of asking for a raise because of this.
Ruth
Michael Robe…, Agent, San Ramon, CA
Fri Oct 26, 2007
Dump that agent NOW! Can you imagine what will happen if you have late negotiations? Pfff. There are some good suggestions here....Take the advice!

Michael
http://www.michaelrobertshomes.com/
Ruthless, , 60558
Fri Oct 26, 2007
Yolanda:
I have to disagree. If a surgeon's boss said, "You can't operate on your own wife, let me do it." Do you think the husband would say, "No, I don't trust you as much as Dr. Smith"? Carrie is in a really tough spot. She has to come up with an excuse.

I do agree that using her perpetuates mediocre and bad agents in the industry and she should NOT use her.
Ruth