My husband lives in Maryland, I still live in California. We want to buy a house jointly in Maryland, can we do so while i'm in Cali?

Asked by Tfranklin, Baltimore, MD Sat Dec 24, 2011

I would really like to purchase before I move there, is that possible in the state of Maryland? He was born and raised there, has a steady job. We'd like to purchase this together.

Answers

20
Tina Beasley, Agent, Baltimore, MD
Sat Dec 24, 2011
Certainly you can as long as you qualify financially. I have a great lender here in the area that I would love for you to speak with to get you moving in the right direction. Feel free to give me a call anytime. I just helped two other families with long distance moves and I would love to help you and your husband as well. Looking foward in having the opportunity. Merry Christmas!

Tina Beasley
Broker, ASP
Better Choice Realty, LLC
443-619-6080
Jose Rivas, Agent, Baltimore, MD
Sat Dec 24, 2011
This could be very easy with a good plan, but every case is different, do you rent in CA? do you own your home in CA? if you do what would you do with it? rent it? sell it? If you don't own the house in CA it would be easier, are you planning to move to MD? do you have a job line up in MD? This type of transactions are easier than they sound, but you need to develop a good plan and have all your ducks in a row. I would be happy to talk to you and your husband and give you more ideas and assist you with your purchase.

Currently interest rates are at their lowest and house prices are also low, our market in Baltimore is still a buyers market and there are several good opportunities.

Jose Rivas
Central Realty
410-256-1717
reobaltimore@gmail.com
Web Reference:  http://centralrealtyhome.com
Elliott R. O…, Agent, McLean, VA
Sat Dec 24, 2011
No problem. With companies like ours we have secure on-line applications, encrypted e-signature capabilities and 24/7 online status updates so you know what's going on with your application. Plus, unlike the typical bank loan officer, I work evenings and weekends to accommodate my client's schedule.

Feel free to contact me at your convenience to discuss your mortgage options. We would be more than happy to assist you and provide you with a no cost/no obligation quote.

Elliott R. Oliva
Mortgage Banker
Primary Residential Mortgage
202-681-1636 direct
eoliva@primeres.com
"Se habla Espanol"
Ariana Loucas, Agent, National Harbor, MD
Sat Dec 24, 2011
Dear Tffanklin,
You can absolutely do this. I work with many buyers relocating here, where one spouse is considered "trailing spouse". Some clients I have had one person looks for the homes meeting their criteria. Another option is to arrange a time where you may be in the area for a few days, and we tour as many homes as possible. The entire mortgage process can be done over the phone, fax and email. Since I work with so many clients having your similar scenario, I use electronic signatures so you can sign the offer contract via a few clicks in your email. As you search for a REALTOR to hire, these are several areas you want to be sure the agent you hire does in order to make the process most convenient. You may also want to read "Selecting the Right REALTOR for You" at http://ariana.featuredblog.com/?p=12 I hope this helps.
Warmest regards,
Ariana Loucas, RE/MAX Advantage Realty
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Sat Dec 24, 2011
As the others say: Sure. The only tricky part--as the others have already noted--is getting a mortgage. And that'd be an issue only if you have a job in California, your income would be necessary to qualify for the mortgage, and if you'd be taking a new job in Maryland. But if you don't currently have an income-producing job in California, or whatever income you have doesn't need to be counted when applying for a mortgage, then that shouldn't be an issue. As you've already been advised, make sure you're working with a good lender in Maryland. Your Realtor can provide some suggestions.

Welcome to the East Coast!
Annie Balcer…, Agent, Baltimore, MD
Sat Dec 24, 2011
Hi TFranklin!

Yes that is absolutely possible. There are a few factors that you would need to go over with a loan officer (ex: if one of you or both of you will be on the loan etc). All in all you can definitely both purchase a home together in MD if you are still living in CA before you move here. Let me know if I can help you with your search!

Thanks & happy Holidays!

Annie
Web Reference:  http://Www.anniebre.com
John Maranto, Agent, Baltimore, MD
Sat Dec 24, 2011
Sure you can. You just need to make certain that if you are not paying cash that you can qualify for a mortgage. I definitely recommend speaking with a lender to go over loan options so that you can understand closing costs, down payment requirements, and what your monthly payment will be at different price points. After that you just need to find an area you both like and trust you husband enough to find a home that you would like if you are not planning on looking in person.
Robert McArt…, Agent, Fallston, MD
Sat Dec 24, 2011
ABSOLUTELY! This is a great time to buy in Maryland. It starts with a plan. To get started
simply visit my website, provide me your contact information and we can move forward from
there. Welcome to Maryland!
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Sat Dec 24, 2011
You certainly can, they can email all the paperwork to you and overnight closing docs to you.
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Josette Fowl…, Agent, Bel Air, MD
Thu Jan 26, 2012
The short and skinny.....yes. If you have any other question ask away
Uddrs, Home Seller, Baltimore, MD
Tue Jan 17, 2012
My husband and I have a property in Reservoir Hill that will be on the market in February. I am not sure where you desire to live in Baltimore but Reservoir Hill is a lovely community with spacious living. If your are interested please and your deal directly with the owner.410-205-9105.
Steve Vennem…, Agent, Pine Springs, MN
Mon Dec 26, 2011
Yes you can have title company or lawyer send you papers to sign notarized or better yet sign a power of attorney to your husband to sign for you if you are not there..
Candice Titus, Agent, Catonsville, MD
Mon Dec 26, 2011
Sure. There are a few factors to take into mind. A local loan officer would be the first place you want to start. Your name can be on the title without being on the loan. So no matter who gets the mortgage you both can own it, but you may both be able to be on the loan as well. It is hard to say without knowing the complete situation. I can get you in touch with a loan officer. Just let me know if you would like me to help.

Candice Titus
410-262-5039
ctitus@cbmove.com
http://www.facebook.com/candice.titus
brent mendel…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Bethesda, MD
Mon Dec 26, 2011
Tfranklin,

Yes in theory you can do what you like. It certainly is possible. As many have said it depends on exactly your situation. So if you could qualify for the home with just his income that would be very easy. You could always be on title to the home or even on the loan even if we don't count your income. Let us know about the status of any home owned in CA. It still all boils down to credit, income and assets. For more information or to be pre-approved please contact me and let me know if you need anything. Hope this helped.
Brent
Elliott R. O…, Agent, McLean, VA
Sun Dec 25, 2011
Does your job allow you to work from anywhere? Are you self-employed? If your position is one that allows you to work remotely or requires travel then there is a good chance you can use your income since you would not be tied to one specific area.
Lisa Reeves, Agent, Tampa, FL
Sun Dec 25, 2011
To purchase in a state with only one of you there will depend on certain items. First will be if you already have a mortgage in California? Two if you can qualify for the loan with just your husbands income? If you reside in California and you are going to Maryland, unless you have a definite transfer or a employment contract, your California income will be unusable for a Maryland purchase. So make sure you have everything ready and lined up in Maryland for your new life so your home purchase is a smooth transaction.
Brenita Young, Agent, Silver Spring, MD
Sat Dec 24, 2011
It is the best time to buy a house and I would be happy to help you!

Please give me a call!

Brenita Young
Remax 2000
301 537-4866
Marney Kirk, Agent, Towson, MD
Sat Dec 24, 2011
Legally, yes, it is possible. With virtual signing companies like Docusign and Dotloop, you can "sign" from California!
The questions come in with loan qualification, and whether you own in CA, and if that would affect your ability to buy here in Maryland.
Your best bet is to do a phone or virtual consultation with an agent here in the Baltimore area, and that person can direct you to a loan officer he or she trusts.
Then you can do the same with that loan officer, so that you can be comfortable knowing that things are taken care of here.
Please let me know how my team can help you further. We just helped a family move from Arizona, and they got into their new house yesterday!
Thank you so much!
Marney Kirk
Keller Williams Excellence Realty
Web Reference:  http://www.realtormarney.com
Greg Myers, Agent, Gaitherburg, MD
Sat Dec 24, 2011
As others have stated you can purchase a home in Maryland. The loan qualifiing issue becomes what happens to the California home? If you intend to rent the California home you must qaulify for both (old and new) mortgages without counting the rental income or if you intend to sell the California after the Maryland purchase you both must qualify for both mortgages with cash reserves.
Robert Mcgee, Agent, Baltimore, MD
Sat Dec 24, 2011
It's easy. The contract and loan application documents can be done by electronic transmission, pdf and fax. To do the closing ask the title company to provide you with a Power of Attorney, take it to a Notary in CA and mail it back to the title company. This happens a lot and is no big deal.

Bob McGee
Advance Realty Timonium
410-560-4574
http://www.baltimorerealty.blogspot.com