My husband and I plan to move to the Brenham or College Station area this year. Our best guess is we will live in the area 3-5 years.

Asked by Nancy Schaan, 75078 Thu Feb 18, 2010

We need enough space to add a workshop approx. 20 x 40. When purchasing, where is the best investment, considering resale in 3-5 years...........in a subdivision in town, or a small "ranchette" near a town?

Answers

5
Chris Tesch, Agent, College Station, TX
Fri Aug 24, 2012
Hi Nancy,

I think for your workshop purposes it probably would be better to have a "ranchette". As far as being a better investment it truly isn't a situation where one is better than the other. The key to it is the right subdivision, whether a rural property or city property. Certain subdivisions sell better than others and, as usual, the mantra for real estate...location, location, location.
David.f.jenk…, Home Buyer, Brenham, TX
Fri Aug 24, 2012
We are selling our house, which is in Austin County, about 8 miles south of Brenham. The MLS number is MLS # 79432260. It has ample space for a 20 x 40 shop, by converting a small barn on the property. AAMOF, we got an estimate from a local builder to convert the barn to a studio, but circumstances dictate a move closer to Houston and the Texas Medical Center, so we had to abandon that plan. Take a look.
Debbie Smith, , Bellville, TX
Tue Aug 10, 2010
I am a realtor in the Brenham area and also grew up in and have lived in Brenham and surrounding areas all my life. The price per sq ft is NOT and has NEVER been $65 sq ft.....Both College Station and Brenham are good areas to live...however, Brenham, in my opinion, will probably gain you better resale on land as it is more in demand here than College Station.
Larry, Both Buyer And Seller, Brenham, TX
Tue May 18, 2010
Brenham is surrounded by rural subdivisions which sell much better than "in-town, curb and gutter lots" --- never go down in value, even in the 1980's with the oil bust. In town, $65 minimum price per foot -- the rural subdivisions add $20K minimum for the one+ acre lot -- this is the minimum and prices go up from there. Brenham has zoning (unlike Houston) which means neighborhoods do not decline in quality like Houston (e.g. Sharpstown, Spring Branch) and everyone goes to the same school so location does not matter for schools. Thus, you will pay 20% more in Brenham for a comparable house as Houston but you will retain that value at resale time. I am NOT a realtor but I know many of them - be very very careful and do NOT rely on their friends recommending them. Best way to find a house is to search on TRRN and watch the Friday paper. The Chamber of Commerce has a rental list. We rented for 6 months and searched for a good deal.
Veronica Hen…, , Solon, OH
Thu Feb 18, 2010
Hi Nancy:
Your best bet is to find an agent that is very familiar with the area. I live in Ohio, but if you would like, I can refer you to someone within my network. Hre is my email address: veronicasellshouses@yahoo.com Thanks!