My husband and I are looking to buy a house. We went by the house and looked on the outside. Thanks

Asked by Martha Stewart, Saint Louis, MO Sat Mar 30, 2013

The house we found is 149,000.00. I'm trying to see what are the steps I need to take to get his house

Answers

13
Stephanie Hug, Agent, Saint Louis, MO
Sat Mar 30, 2013
Have you been inside? I would be happy to set up an appointment to take a look at the home with you and talk about the next steps in the process
Russ Ravary, Agent, Commerce Township, MI
Sun Mar 31, 2013
First steps are to get pre approved for a mortgage and to get a realtor to get you inside the home. Check out the find a pro tab above
Dale Weir, Agent, Chesterfield, MO
Sun Mar 31, 2013
Lots of advice, lots of people saying me, me, and you are probably are no closer than when you posted your question. If you have friends or family who have purchased a home in the past few years asked them what they liked about their realtor and what they didn't. Use that guidance in selecting a realtor to work with. I highly recommend that the Realtor you chose is one who will take time to sit down with you to discuss your goals and your timeline. One who will take time to go through the home buying process and explain the language, the realtor shorthand on the reports, the things that are important to pay attention to in the sellers disclosure, negotiating the contract and the building inspection, and much more. Your realtor will help you find the right mortgage lender based on what type of home you are purchasing and your financial ability.
Klaus Illian, Agent, St Louis, MO
Sun Mar 31, 2013
It sounds like you may be a first time home buyer. Jargon used by Realtors may sound like a foreign language. I am happy to sit down with you and explain the home buying process before you start looking. Call my office-- 314-353-8888 -- and ask for Klaus Happy Easter
John Walin, Agent, Libertyville, IL
Sun Mar 31, 2013
Start with a mortgage approval from a local lender, ask agents to explain agency law in Mo.
Lesley Wilson, Agent, St Louis, MO
Sun Mar 31, 2013
Hi Martha,
Sebastian had a great list. Most good agents would give you a similar list. Finding an agent you like and want to work with is very important. Some agents know a lot more about south city than others.
I would call a few agents to get a feel for their knowledge, how they respond to you, and see if you feel comfortable with one of them. Then choose one to make the appointment to view the home.
Of course, if you are getting a loan, a pre-approval is necessary. If you don't have one, the agent should be able to give you some lender referrals to help you get that quickly.
I specialize in south city. If I can help, please give me a call.
Lesley Wilson
Equity Missouri, LLC
314-520-6765
Bill Keefer, Agent, Saint Louis, MO
Sun Mar 31, 2013
You'll want to contact an experienced agent with transaction experience & be sure you are preapproved for a mortgage. Feel free to contact me...we can easily get you & your husband moving forward toward your ultimate goal. When I work with buyers, my commission is paid by the seller & the buyer does not pay me for my services.
Bill Keefer
314-517-3474
http://www.bilkeefer.com
wnkiii@hotmail.com
Sebastian Ba…, Agent, Clayton, MO
Sun Mar 31, 2013
Hi Martha,
Steps to buy any house or two-family::
1. Hire a buyer's agent. My services are free to the buyer!
2. Tour the inside and outside
3. Have your buyer's agent point out the good and the bad
4. Think about this house as compared to the other properties you should be seeing.
4.a Since you are looking for a two-family, you will want your agent to help you analyze the rental side of the building. It's not easy, and some agents have specialized tools for that.
5. Be pre-approved by a lender appropriate to the kind of property you are buying. Your buyer's agent will put you in contact with a lender that has the right loan for your plans.
6. Make an offer with the help of your buyer's agent.
7. As it is unlikely that your offer is acepted right away, your agent will help you negotiate the best deal possible.
8. Have the property inspected and repairs negotiated.
9. Close on it and move in about 30 days!
Greg Bowen, Agent, Town and Country, MO
Sun Mar 31, 2013
The very first thing is to get a pre-approval letter. I have some contacts that can help if you need it. There are many steps after that, give me a call and I will explain. Just so you will know, the seller in most all cases will pay my commission ...not you. I will help from the beginning to the end. 314-540-1978.
Penny Davis, Agent, St Louis, MO
Sat Mar 30, 2013
Hi Martha,
If you send me an email, or call, I will give you contact information for a few different lenders. You can apply online and find out quickly how much you qualify for.

Once you have your pre-approval letter (it's very quick!) you'll be ready to make some appointments to go see some houses.

Shoot me an email if you'd like - I will send you the lender info and answer any other questions you have. :)

Penny Davis
Davis.Penny@Gmail.com
314.495.9089
Dan Brassil, Agent, Saint Louis, MO
Sat Mar 30, 2013
Martha,
The next step would be to schedule a showing with an agent. If you like what you see you can put in an offer on the house.
Abu Musa, Agent, New York, NY
Sat Mar 30, 2013
You may working with your real estate agent .Your agent will walk you through the hole process.
Daniel Gaza, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Waukesha, WI
Sat Mar 30, 2013
Great Question

The first thing I would recommend, as most agents would agree, would be to to get a pre-approved from your financial institution if that's the route you are going to take. After you contact a lender, contact your agent or the agent of the property. It is much easier to get into a property with an agent. It shows motivation, along with the pre-approval letter. Those steps would be the most important. I wouldn't recommend contacting the seller directly, they might not be in agreeance to contacts like that.
This may sound like a broken record if you've heard this before, but having an agent on your side is very useful! You may end up signing a Buyer's Agreement with this agent and they will be on your side all the way through your venture.
After you have talked to these folks first, you will be heading down the right direction. They will also finish the process out for you and with you. I hoped this helped...