My husband and I are looking for a home in one of the coastal cities in Maine.

Asked by Liz, San Francisco, CA Fri Mar 13, 2009

I'm currently looking in Falmouth, Kennebunkport, and Kennebunk. We like more rural areas (large lot for kids), public schools with strong academic profiles, and a safe community. We don't need fast access to a metro area because we work from home. We'd probably choose a fixer over a turn-key home if we can get a good deal. We're paying cash, so we don't have to worry about a property qualifying for a lender.

We don't have a realtor, yet. We're listing our home in CA in the next week or two.

Any recommendations for other communities?

Thank you very much!!

Answers

6
CJ Dubois-Co…, Agent, Saco, ME
Sun Mar 15, 2009
Hi Liz,

It would be my pleasure to assist you. I am an Accredited Buyer Representative and work in all the coastal towns you have referenced. We can certainly discuss other communities when we talk. I can also make a recommendation to you for a Realtor in California to list your property if you have not already hired a Realtor to do so. Prudential is a full-service brokerage and has best in class tools at our disposal. Feel free to contact me at your convenience:

CJ Dubois-Cote
Prudential Prime Properties
445 Main Street
Saco, ME 04072
207-615-1663 - cell
cindy@prubay.com
Margaret Mit…, Agent, York, ME
Fri Mar 13, 2009
Hi Liz - A bit of data: Average sales price for single family homes for 2008 was $502,599 for Falmouth, $644,361 for Kennebunkport and $414,517 for Kennebunk. Of the 3 towns, Kennebunk is definitely the more rural.
Wells is a town that abuts the Kennebunks and had an average 2008 sales price for single family homes of $358,469. It has great beaches and the ocean is visible from much of Route One. As a general rule, properties closer to the beach are pricier and have smaller lots. In Southern Maine, this means homes east of Route 1. Properties west of I95 are just a few miles from the beaches but generally have larger lots and smaller price tags. Wells has quite a bit of rural property, just a few miles from the beaches and well priced relative to some neighboring towns.
Two additional southern Maine towns, noted for academics, are York and Eliot. York has several beautiful beaches and Eliot is on the Piscataqua River. Average sales price for single family homes for 2008 was $473,937 and $313,322 respectively.
Here is a link to a site that will give you test results for Maine schools:
http://portalx.bisoex.state.me.us/pls/doe/eddev.profiles.fin…
There are more to schools than test results and a good agent can fill you in on additional school offerings.
I specialize in Southern Coastal Maine. If you would like me to email you some information on properties, please send me your criteria and I would be happy to forward some information on properties that meet your criteria.
Good luck and welcome to Maine!
Michael Pasc…, , Portland, ME
Fri Mar 13, 2009
Hi Liz,
Many of the towns around Greater Portland are known for high school ratings. Cape Elizabeth to the South and Falmouth, Yarmouth, Freeport to the North. I live in Yarmouth and have a Junior in HS. The Yarmouth school system has been great for him. Inland towns you may consider are Gorham or Windham. Most of these towns have rural areas. I hope that helps
Michael
Steve Brunet…, Agent, Sanford, ME
Fri Mar 13, 2009
Liz,

The Kennebunk, Kennebunkport area of Maine is beautiful and a great place to raise a family. I know Kennebunk very well. I live there. There are also several other nice small communities in the southern Maine area such as Wells and Ogunquit. If there's any information you need or if you have questions, I'd be pleased to help. You can also visit my website, http://www.SteveSellsMaine.com, for information on properties for sale and information on the various towns in the area.
Diana Downs, Agent, Bangor, ME
Fri Mar 13, 2009
Hi Liz,
The towns you mentioned are all in southern Maine. Have you considered moving a little farther north? The are some great properties that meet your description farther up the coast. I'd be happt to send you some information, if you're interested.
Rick Beal, Agent, Portland, ME
Fri Mar 13, 2009
Hello Liz and welcome to Maine!

I would also look at Cape Elizabeth, Scarborough, Cumberland and Yarmouth.