Marlene,  in Phoenix, AZ

My husband and I are looking at properties in Bloomfield NJ.

Asked by Marlene, Phoenix, AZ Tue Nov 4, 2008

We like the area-have researched it much.
Recently went to an open house-not being fully familiar w/the area, got a bit lost.
We ended up driving thru Belleville for a few minutes until we got our bearings.
Never heard of Belleville. Did some searching online.
Seems as tho the prices are lower overall-the prop. taxes, somewhat lower as well.
Naturally, we thought about starting to include Belleville in our search.
But when I ask people about Belleville, they all right away, steer us bk to Bloomfield.
They don’t seem to like it too much but I can’t get a detailed, straight answer out of anyone as to why.
Only thing a realtor would tell me is that Bloomfield will have better property values than Belleville.

What’s the story really?
I know this is a really general question but - is there any opinion as to why Bloomfield is preferred, by some/many, over Belleville?

Are they building a nuclear plant there next yr or something? (-:

Am I missing something?

Answers

17
Janadeen,

Don't forget to get a home inspection for your new purchase. I am located in Belleville and know the area well.

FHA Home Inspections, Inc.
201-500-7460
john@fha-homeinspections.com
http://www.fha-homeinspections.com
Transportation is the key to our town. However, I do believe the homes are a bit over priced and TAX are high.
We lost good residents to TAX and I do believe we are paying our local Gov., too much money.

Welcome to the neighborhood. I hope you get involve politically. We need more Pro-Active residents.
Thanks Carl.

Interesting points.

We actually ended up buying in Bloomfield a couple of months ago - very happy with our choice over Belleville for many reasons. Key is there's more and easier transportation options. The city and work are much more easily accessible from where we are in Bloomfield than most any place we could find in Belleville.
Looks a like an old question, but for someone like you from out of the area the two towns are more alike than different. Both carved out of Newark Township in the 1800's, Belleville was carved from Bloomfield when it was 20 square miles in about 1880. Now both towns are about 5 square miles in size. Working class towns, formerly called 'blue collar." Aging housing inventory. Bloomfield has a redevelopment plan in place centered around the train station in Bloomfield center. There is a regional plan called "Transit Villages", to take advantage of the mass transit in place and encourage 7-day a week use. Once in place with renovated train station, pedestiran friendly transformation, new residential sections, uniform planning for land use and aesthetic consistancy, the center of Bloomfield will benefit from the changes. Belleville is still Belleville. It has a light rail connection to Newark. Bloomfield has the Mid-town Direct line which will soon run 7-days a week to Manhattan. The demographics of the two towns are similar. In real estate, this week, the average rate of sale for Bloomfield is 5.7 months (to sell a house). In Belleville it is 14 months. It is good for buying and selling in both towns, just different. That is why it appears to you that prices are lower in Belleville. More to choose from and competition for buyers. If you would like more info, contact me. Carl- 973 632 8593
Dear Janadeen:
Have you ever considered Morris County. Both my wife and I are from Essex County. My wife from Belleville and myself from Verona. Our first real estate purchase was a condo in Glen Ridge.
We have lived in Denville,Morris County, for close to twenty years and love it. More affordable on REtxs and prices, small town feel, easy access to everything including NYC by way of the direct trains from the Denville train station.
As far as the difference between Bloomfield and Belleville, it is all according to what sections and what your purchasing power is. They are both diverse, school systems are similar, and the high Essex County taxes apply to both communities.
If you want to look at your options and discover Morris County, I will be happy to assist you.
Good luck!!
Jeffrey David Halpern, CSP
Broker Associate
Prudential New Jersey Properties
64 Diamond Spring Road
Denville,NJ 07834
Phone: (973) 625-1250 x143
Fax: (973) 625-1672
Cell & Txt:: (201) 317-7527
URL: http://www.JeffHalpern.PruNewJersey.com

NO EXCUSES………
……..JUST A SOLUTION
check out my listing here on Trulia at 221 N. 16th Street in Bloomfield. It's a perfect starter home and in great move in condition! Let me know! I'd love to show it to you.
Janadeen,

We're realtors and also have lived in Bloomfield our entire lives plus our family had a soft drink manufacturing business in Bloomfield for over 58 years. We have friends both in Belleville and Bloomfield.
Our suggestion would be to work with a realtor, who would email you properties in both communities-- you pick a few you'd like to see -- then come out for a day -- visit these properties and the area. It will help you make a decision. We've done this many times with clients -- and also show them around the communities.
We hope you contact us and look forward to hearing from you.

Joe and Gail Pieretti
jpieretti@aol.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 15, 2008
Janadeen,

We're realtors and have lived in Bloomfield our entire lives. Our family had a soft drink manufacturing business in Bloomfield for over 58 years. We have friends that live both in Bloomfield and Belleville. You can find a reasonably priced home in both communities. We suggest that you work with a realtor -- who would send you properties in both towns -- then make an appointment to visit a sampling of the properties.
If you choose us, then we would also show you around the communities in general, so that you get a "feel" for the towns. This will help you with your decision-making. Again, we hope to hear from you. (jpieretti@aol.com)
Thank you Tom – thank you much.

This is what I was trying to find out.

This is sort of the ‘vibe’ I get from people (whether its true or not) but few come out in detail or depth and say so.

And believe me, I’m well aware that there are probably GREAT places in Belleville as well as not so great – same as any other town – but when I would try & talk to people about it, realtor and not, all seem to lean toward Bloomfield as the preferred place to live.

Thru my own driving around, research and this board, I did finally figure out that the transportation is easier in Bloomfield though.

Thanks again!
Hey Janadeen,

I am also in the market in Bloomfield. Just started looking. Check out city-data.com. It is a blog space and city information site where there is tons of information about every city, just click on New Jersey and pick from the list. Be advised you have to weed through a lot of nonsense since many posters just feel the need to throw their two cents in even if they don't live in the area. I can say that Bloomfield is much nicer than Belleville, this is my opinion just from driving extensively around the area. Better Schools, better transportation and just overall nicer place to live. that being said it depends what part of Bloomfield you are looking in. There are many parts of Bloomfield that are just as dumpy as Belleville. Some parts of Belleville are almost as nice as the nice parts of Bloomfield.The areas by Brookdale park are definitely the nicest that I have seen. Prices are really low there now. Tons of short sales and foreclosures on the market. Since I'm not a realtor I don't have any laws governing what I can say. You would be hard pressed to find anyone who would tell you that Bloomfield is not a better place to live than Belleville.

Hope that helps and good luck.
You welcome Janadeen.

If you would like I can set you up to receive a Market Snapshot with active/sold, community info and school information all in one report. I find that it provided lots of great information for you about the community you are interested in as well as giving you a feel for the pulse of what is going on with the market.

The link below will show you a sample of what sort of information is available.

As for the intangibles I would be happy to provide my perspective but you will have to contact me directly.

Cheers,
Jeff
Thanks for you input Bob.

I have indeed done some GOOGLE searching and reading.

There are however, intangibles that one just can't get from the web.

That's more what I'm looking for.

Thanks everyone.

(Jefferey - thanks especially for that 'walkabout' link!!)
Janadeen,

I would suggest you go to websites to research Shcools, property values, income levels, crime rates, etc. this will give you an idea about areas you would like to view and ones you wouldn't. Different communities have different demagraphics..... Do a GOOGLE search for these facts or you can visit my website listed below.

Hope this helps.....if you need more info give me a call. (201) 412-8308
Thank you Jeffrey - some of this is exactly what I was looking for - re the transportation part.

I see what you're saying.

We got lost in a place in Belleville on Tiona Avenue.

For sure there was nothing around at all re mass transit.

Looking at it now, and just a while ago going over NJ Transit's site, I do indeed see Bloomfield with more options.

Thanks!
It really depends what you are looking for. Gina is correct in that it would be illegal for an agent to steer you one way or another. The first question is what is the price range that your are looking in? Then are schools important , accessibility to mass transit, walk to restaurants etc? To me Bloomfield has better mass transit options. The shuttle runs down Broad St to the midtown direct and the Decamp Bus also run into Port Authority.

It seems that things around Brookdale Park are starting to stay on the market longer. The past month has seen reduced showing and offers which is not surprising. That being said the split just listed on Meadow at $419,000 is said to have 3 offer after the first weekend on. It was done done done. Contemporary feel, new kitchen, addition off the back, etc. I would also suggest that you check out http://www.walkscore.com for any property you are considering to see what it close by.

If you click the link below if will show you a comparison of the 2 towns. Good luck and if you have any additional questions please reach out.
Web Reference: http://budurl.com/Compare
Thanks for the quick reply Gina.

When I said ‘steer’ – I didn’t mean that anyone was trying to convince us not to consider searching there. Trust me – we’re not that naïve (-:

And notice, I mentioned that I know, this is a very general question – unfair to ask almost.

And yes, various neighborhoods all have pockets of high and lower priced real estate.
(still, even in my own search and comparisons, I think I found pricing higher in Bloomfield)

But, what I’m trying to say is … for example … I’m originally from the Maryland / DC area and know it like the back of my hand. If someone asked me what was the fun, hip, convenient, schools, shopping vibe, etc, place to live – Dupont Circle vs say, Congress Heights – I could explain to them the why’s.
Know what I mean?

Not being from NJ, I don’t know much about the area aside from researching online, visiting when I can or talking to people I might know. It’d take me years to know it like you do.

I’m just wondering if there are any huge differences between the 2 areas and what they might be.
Janadeen,

Not only is that my direct market, I grew up in Belleville and my husband in Bloomfield. Both my parents and in-laws still own and live in there. As with many towns, they both have different sections and some of the areas in both towns are higher priced than other areas in town. An agent cannot really steer you to Belleville or Bloomfield or anywhere for that matter but we can provide you with the necessary information to assist you in making your decision on where to live.

Together with my real estate experience and my strong ties to the communities in those areas, I would be happy to discuss both towns in detail with you and provide you with pertinent information regarding both towns and the surrounding areas as well.

Please feel free to contact me directly -- there are no strings attached, no buyer's agreement to sign, etc. just some free valuable information.

Gina Chirico, Sales Associate
Prudential New Jersey Properties
973-715-1158 cell
973-992-6363 ext 116 office
GinaChirico@PruNewJersey.com